York Acorn 36-0 Beverley ARLFC

The Blue and Golds slipped to this comprehensive defeat against their significantly bulkier and more experienced opponents last Saturday on their travels through to York. Not normally one to take well to defeat Tony Spence commented ” I can take that and I can work with it. It didn’t seem like a loss today. We gained some respect and realised the frame of mind it takes to beat these teams. There was effort there today. Our completion was better but defensively we were caught out a little on the edges. Close to the line we were a little chaotic and didn’t convert pressure into points. The performances of our youngsters were a plus point today.”

Ben Tengey gave the home side the lead after only 3 minutes, stepping inside to finish a handling movement to the left. The conversion was not added but the visitors then started to enjoy more of the game. Urged on with the distributive abilities of Joe Morley from half back, they forced 2 successive line drop-outs but failed to cross the line. Midway through the half Ash Robson crossed for the home side to convert himself. A line drop-out was forced from the re-start kick by the visitors which again saw the resulting attacking come to nothing.
Later on, in the half, a clean break by Bobby Howdle saw him look to slip a pass to his supports but the ball went to ground. Shortly after, Beverley’s cause was not helped by a sin-binning for Steve Connolly following protestations. A man down the visitors chanced their arm on attack a little, and a chip ahead by Joe Morley looked dangerous but the bounce was unkind to the chasers. Ben Tengey and Callum Worthington added further scores before the break one of which was converted by Robson for a 20-0 interval lead.

Three minutes after the break Jordan Potter added another score for the York outfit converted by Robson. Beverley did force a line drop-out from the restart which was the cue for a spell of pressure and repeat sets for the visitors. Jack Howdle, Sam Coleman and Steve Connolly all went close with surges for the line but the home defence was resolute. 15 minutes into the second Joe Budd crossed for a further score for the hosts converted by Robson.
Never to give in, the visitors again showed bluster. A kick-ahead by Bobby Howdle as he broke from deep in his own half, saw him hack the ball on and force a knock-on by his opponent to set up a dangerous attacking set. Jack Howdle and Jake Hart-Fisher again all made determined runs for the line but again met an iron-clad defence. Callum Worthington added a further unconverted score 12 minutes from time to stretch the score to 36-0 and complete the afternoon’s scoring.

Report by: Nick Robinson (beverleyarlfc.co.uk)