Wigan Warriors 60-0 Hull FC

It proved to be a night to forget for Hull as a dominant Wigan side had too much for the depleted Airlie Birds at the DW Stadium.

Bevan French helped himself to a Super League record seven tries, whilst Jai Field grabbed a brace, Liam Marshall a try and Harry Smith a personal tally of 20 points on a tough night for Hull’s defence.

Brett Hodgson made just one change to the side that beat Hull KR at last weekend’s Magic Weekend, with Mitieli Vulikijapani returning from suspension to replace the suspended Connor Wynne at right centre.

With as many as twelve players unavailable due to injury and suspension, that meant that Academy graduates Charlie Severs, Matty Laidlaw and Jacob Hookem retained their place on the interchange bench, whilst loanees Jack Walker, Josh Simm and Ellis Longstaff played the second game of their spell with the club against the Warriors.

Matty Peet was forced into two changes from last weekend’s Magic Weekend, with Brad Singleton serving the first of the three-match ban as Oliver Partington took his place, with Kai Pearce-Paul coming into the team for the injured John Bateman.

It was a half to forget for Hull at the DW Stadium as Bevan French ran riot, scoring four first-half tries, with Jai Field adding another for the Warriors in a dominant half of action.

The game started in a concerning manner for Hull as Chris Satae was forced from the field with a head knock after the first carry of the game, which he returned from briefly during the half but ultimately that was to be that for his night.

Hull perhaps had the better of the opening exchanges and had the first real chance of the match. A loose ball fell the way of the Black & Whites and Josh Griffin was able to offload to Josh Simm. The loanee was stopped just short of the line, but on the first play, a pass down the shortside was intercepted by Bevan French who reached halfway before being hauled back by Jack Walker.

The action continued to revolve around the former Paramatta Eel, as he score the first try of the game following a scrum in centre field, before his score came shortly afterwards backing up from a Jai Field kick.

Having set up the first of French’s tries, Jai Field was to turn from provider to scorer, going the length after trapping a Luke Gale kick and racing clear of the Hull defence, though a strong effort from Josh Simm kept the Australian out wide for Harry Smith to miss the conversion.

Field was to return to the role of provider for Bevan French to complete his hat-trick, hitting his winger with a wide pass to squeeze in in the corner, before French scored his fourth try of the half, pouncing on a loose ball following an error from the otherwise lively Josh Simm.

Follow the link for the full match report.

Wigan Warriors 60 (28)
Tries: French (7), Field (2), Marshall, Smith. Goals: Smith (8)

Hull FC 0 (0)