Weekend Review: 5th September 2022

Hull KR have the bragging rights from the weekend’s derby games. The Robins men’s side won with just 16 available players in a valiant effort against cross-city rivals Hull FC. The Ladies’ game saw the East side of the city once again prevail, 32-16. Following the result in the men’s fixture many Black and White’s fans have been calling for head coach, Brett Hodgson to leave the club.

Beverley ARLFC were due to play this weekend against Hunslet Warriors, however, due to their opponents pulling out of the fixture it meant that Beverley were awarded the points. The Blue and Golds end the season in 10th.

It was a good start to the season for Beverley RUFC. The Beavers ran out 25-22 winners away at the newly-promoted Wetherby. It was a difficult start to the season for the Beverley side but the victory shows encouraging signs as they aim for a top-four spot.

Newly crowned champions, Driffield Town CC made hard work of their game weekend away at Harrogate. The host were put into bat, scoring 239 all out in 49.5 overs, including an excellent 89 from the opener, Henry Thompson. The wickets were shared amongst the Woldsmen; Hardgrave, Caley, George Drury and Alec Drury all took one wicket each. Once again Anson picked up three wickets, whilst Mishra took two. Mishra was to lead a staring role with the bat scoring 74 from just 50 balls as Driffield fought back from 34-3. The unbeaten 65 from George Drury also deserves a mention. The champions eventually won by three wickets.

Unfortunately, Beverley Town CC had their game against Sessay abandoned which ended their season prematurely.

Hull Seahawks started pre-season on Saturday away at Leeds Knights. The newly-formed Seahawks showed great determination but were eventually defeated 3-1. On Sunday the Hull side lost out to Sheffield Steeldogs 5-3 having trailed 4-0 in the first period.

North Ferriby‘s winning run in the league has come to an end. The Villagers looked likely to continue their 100% record after captain Niall Tilsley headed the visitors into the lead. A last-minute goal from Garforth Town prevented that and also means that Ferriby have only picked up one win in four across all competitions.

Sheffield United humbled Hull City on Sunday. The Tigers entered the game with a win in every home game so far this season. Despite the largest home league attendance in over five years, Shota Arveladze’s side put in a disappointing performance. The two best chances of the game fell to Estupiñán and Tufan both fluffing their lines for the Tigers. United had very few clear-cut chances but still came away with two goals and three points.

Hull City Ladies came from two goals down to beat Newcastle United Women 4-3 away from home. The Tigresses were trailing 2-0 on the verge of half-time but a bullet header from the captain, Ellie Tanser and a Katie Thompson penalty brought the game back to level terms at the break. The hosts regained the lead after the restart, but an excellent second-half brace from Emily Smith earned the victory for HCL. The victory means the Tigresses have won two games in a row.

In the Humber Premier League, Cherry Burton continue a difficult start to the season with a 2-0 loss to Pocklington. Title holders Hedon Rangers beat Hall Road Rangers 2-1. In Division One Great Driffield won 1-0 against Bridlington Rovers.

Oliver Harsley reports on Hall Road’s narrow defeat:

Hall Road Rangers suffered their 1st league defeat of the 2022/23 Humber Premier League Premier Division season on Saturday as they lost 2-1 at Hedon Rangers.

In the 2nd minute, Lewis Andrew had an effort cleared off the line. Three minutes later, Hedon had a shot which was hit straight at Hall Road keeper Haydn Withill. Andrew then had a free kick saved by the Hedon keeper and Withill had to produce a good save at the other end to prevent the hosts from going in front.

In the 20th minute, Rob Hall tried his luck with a speculative lob from distance which went over the bar. Two quick-fire goals for Hedon, courtesy of Daniel Clancy and Harry Giles, put them in front.

Luke Bullement got a goal back for Hall Road in the 31st minute when he fired home after latching onto a great pass from Tommy Waud. Hall Road thought they equalised when Bullement saw an effort hit the post and bounce near the goal line, but the referee was unmoved and didn’t award a goal.

Hall Road carved out more chances on Hedon’s goal. They came very close to equalising in the 35th minute as Elliott Williams pulled the ball back into the box which avoided the onrushing Sam O’Malley and fell to Tommy Waud who fired an effort over the bar. Rob Hall and Lucas Robinson also had opportunities to get Hall Road back on level terms, but they weren’t converted.

In the 2nd half, Hedon threatened to extend their lead. Haydn Withill made a great save in the 51st minute to deny the hosts a 3rd goal. The hosts also had a couple of efforts go over the bar. Just before full-time, Hall Road had a chance to equalise when Finn Pulford sent a header straight at the Hedon keeper. Ultimately, Hall Road took nothing from the game and this defeat means they occupy 7th place in the league table.

Simon Bromwich