Beverley ARLFC 20-6 West Hull

 The visitors brought a brand of play to the Leisure Centre that was noticeably quicker and more expansive than the home side had been used to. The Blue and Golds were outstanding in defence especially close to their own goal line. A number of club officials described the performance as the best they have seen since being involved with the club.

 Head Coach Tony Spence commented ”Our game plan was to take them on up the middle and go toe to toe with them in defence. I am proud of the way we stayed in the fight. Many other teams would have crumbled under the pressure. Our half backs were superb, not only with the ball in hand but tactically they kicked the opposition to death.”

 The kick-off from West Hull went dead on the full. The penalty immediately putting the home side on the attack. Having soaked up the early pressure, the visitors commenced dominating possession and territory. As passions ran high culminating in a scuffle in the 15th minute, Beverley was awarded a penalty. The resulting set saw Lewis Straw’s beautifully weighted pass send Luke Parker over. Straw converted. The hosts nearly went further ahead in the 25th minute when Dave Smart’s break saw him draw the full-back only for his pass to his supporting players go to ground. In between times, there was more pressure from the visitors and yet more brave defending. The half-hour mark saw a break from near his own line by Alex Calvert feed Josh Poskitt who kicked ahead and forced a Wests player to knock the ball into touch. The repeat set did not produce points but Lewis Straw did land a penalty goal on the stroke of half-time to stretch the Beverley lead to 8-0.

  The visitors knocked on from the second half re-start. This prompted a spell of pressure ending in Lewis Straw’s kick into the in-goal area which was pounced on by Josh Poskitt to score. Straw converted from the touchline. In the 48th minute as the visitors were again on the attack, an adventurous long pass was intercepted by Lewis Straw to race 80 meters to score and also convert.
  Wests continued to enjoy more territorial advantage prompting some outstanding goal-line defending by the Blue and Golds. On one occasion Francis Coggle did exceptionally well to dislodge the ball from a Wests player as he crossed the Beverley line. The hour mark saw a Luke Parker break nearly put the game beyond all reasonable doubt. The final pass went to ground with only daylight ahead of the supporting Billy Riby. In the 70th minute, the visitors did get on the score-sheet through an Elliot Jones try converted by Jack Lazenby. Wests continued to press right up the final whistle which was blown after 8 minutes of stoppage time.

   A large ‘socially distanced’ crowd witnessed a result that will certainly send a few shock waves throughout amateur rugby league.

Beverley 20 (8)
Tries: Parker, J.Poskitt, Straw. Goals: Straw 4.

West Hull 6 (0)
Try: Jones. Goal: Lazenby

Report by Nick Robinson. (

Published – 24th May 2021