Saturday 13 November 2021
A 59-year-old Beverley man is due to appear before Hull Crown Court next month, charged with a number of sex offences against a young child. Glenn Overton-Wilkinson, of Waterside Road, was remanded to the Crown Court on unconditional bail when he appeared before Hull Magistrates earlier this week. He faces a total of 12 charges that were said to involve a girl under the age of eight when the alleged offences occurred. In addition he faces two charges of possessing indecent images and videos of a child. No plea was entered at this stage and the case will be heard at Crown Court on December 9.
As reported in breaking news on yesterday’s Morning Mix, East Yorkshire Buses have apologised to a 16-year-old girl at the centre of an incident at Beverley Bus Station. The girl had been left stranded after a bus driver refused to let her board her last bus home. The teenager tried to board the bus from Beverley to Dunswell at 9.30pm last Sunday and claims she arrived just as the bus was about to depart. She says she stood in front of the bus and pleaded with the driver to let her on board, but those pleas fell on deaf ears and he sounded his horn to get her to move out of the way. It’s understood a woman police officer who witnessed the incident, and subsequently gave the girl a lift home, was told by the driver that he couldn’t open the doors for health and safety reasons. East Yorkshire Buses initially defended the driver’s actions saying: “’For safety reasons, our drivers are advised not to allow any more passengers to board once they have closed the doors and reversed off the bus station stands, as it is unsafe for passengers to try to enter the part of the station where buses are moving.”
However, when contacted by Beverley FM, the company’s marketing manager Claire Robinson issued an apology. She told us: “Our role as a bus operator is to take people where they want to go, and we recognise the paramount importance of safety for women late at night. On this occasion, we fell short and we apologise to the passenger concerned. We’re grateful to the police for intervening and for making sure she got home safely and soundly. We have reviewed the circumstances internally and learnt the lessons accordingly.” The company was not prepared to expand further on the statement and whether there was any further action to be taken.
And finally, homewares store Dunelm has confirmed the opening date of its store in the former Debenhams store at Flemingate as Thursday, December 23.