North Ferriby 2-0 FC Humber United

The Villagers welcomed FC Humber United to the Dransfield looking to get back to winning ways after three successive draws. The visitors were coming into the game off a 6-4 defeat against Selby. The Villagers went into the game with a long list of players missing. Liam Nelthorpe and Matty Plummer missed the game due to injuries picked up at Hall Road.  

The Villagers started the brighter and applied early pressure to the visitor’s goal. Tom Corner came close with a header and Jamie Forrester had a shot that was blocked by an FC Humber defender. The visitors kept reminding the Villagers that there were two teams in the game and found some good positions in the final third to ensure that the Ferriby backline needed to concentrate. Louis Blackwell was the main outlet in the first half and was the target of many through balls played by the midfield.  

The Villagers started to get more and more comfortable on the ball but failed to make the possession count. Good play on the left-hand side by Danny East, Ben Leyland and Danny Buttle resulted in a cross from the latter to Tom Corner, However, the strikers header went wide of Aidan Smith’s goal. The aforementioned Danny East was the next Villager to have an attempt as he curled an effort from out the area-wide.  

FC Humber had the next chance of the game as a free-kick from Jack Gascoigne needed a hand from Jordan Douglas to keep the scores level. With Josh Dennet making his first start of the league campaign the Villagers could rely on his dangerous long throws. It was one of these throw-ins that gave the Villagers their next opportunity as Niall Tilsley headed wide. The Villagers continued to pressurise the visitors and a ball over the top to a wide-open Danny East allowed the midfielder to head the ball across to the incoming Levi Tarbotton who was unable to get to the ball but caused panic in the FC Humber box. The Villagers had the last attempt of the half with a header from the impressive Louis Kirk going wide of the goal. One downside to the first half was Iwan Heeley having to be substituted due to injury.  

The second half picked up where the first half left off with the Villagers having plenty of the ball and searching for an opener. The first attempt of the half belonged to Levi Tarbotton who met a Jamie Forrester free-kick but he saw his header go wide of the post.  

The Villagers were rewarded for all their hard work when in the 55th minute Joel Shortland opened the scoring. Good work from the Villagers led to a ball going into the box towards Tom Corner. An FC Humber defender got there before the striker and the ball landed at the feet of Joel Shortland. The midfielder opened his body up and sent an attempt into the visitors goal to give the Villagers a deserved lead.  

It was a quick double for Ferriby as they made it 2-0 two minutes later. A cross from Danny Buttle was met by Danny East’s head. The midfielder scooped down and headed past Aidan Smith. This goal was well deserved and definitely wrapped the game up and gave the visitors little chance to get back into the game.  

The Villagers were brimming with confidence and looked to add another goal. Danny East intercepted a pass from a Humber defender and ran with the ball. He found Josh Dennett on the right and the right-back sent a cross into the box towards Jamie Forrester who shot wide. Dennett was involved again but after more good work from the Villagers, he sent his shot over when in space.  

The Villagers were relentless in their pursuit of a third goal. Tom Corner went close a couple of times from counter attacks that were led by Danny East. Joel Shortland had an effort in the dying seconds, but his shot went wide.  

This was a much-needed win for the Villagers and it was well deserved. They kept possession well and had many attempts on the Humber goal. Josh Dennett was impressive on the right as was the midfield tonight who were constantly winning possession. The defence did well to keep the visitors quiet. It was only the second time this season they have been held goalless.  

Report by: Ash Walker at Haworth Park 

North Ferriby FC: 1.Douglas, 2.Nelthorpe, 3. Buttle, 4.Tarbotton, 5.Tilsley ,6.Heeley (12.Shortland), 7.Leyland, 8.Kirk, 9.Forrester, 10.East, 11.Corner.
Subs not used: Exall, Mycoe, Fenton, Carew.

FC Humber United: 1.Smith, 2.T.Phillips, 3.Mulligan, 4.J.Phillips (17.Spencer), 5.Davies, 6.Allen, 7.Czubik, 8.Gascoigne, 9.Blackwell (15.Fletcher), 10.Wileman, 11.Burke.
Subs not used: Barton, Murie, Fletcher, Watson.

Referee: Daniel Brown