Hull City 2-1 Wigan Athletic

Hull City earned their first win in five matches as they defeated Wigan Athletic 2-1 at the MKM Stadium.

Despite Will Keane giving the visitors the lead, finishes in each half by Dimitrios Pelkas and Óscar Estupiñán gave the Tigers all three points in the EFL Championship.

Interim Head Coach Andy Dawson made two changes to the starting XI that faced Luton Town last Friday. Doğukan Sinik and Cyrus Christie were given their first starts in a Hull City shirt in place of Ryan Longman and Ryan Woods, who were both named on the bench.

The two changes almost opened the scoring after 12 minutes as Sinik’s floated cross found Christie at the back post, but his first-time volleyed attempt flew over the bar. Two minutes later, the visitors took the lead as Thelo Aasgaard’s front-post delivery was met by Keane to head home against his former club.

The Tigers roared back just seven minutes as they equalised on the 21st minute. Lewie Coyle’s inch-perfect cross was met by the head of Pelkas, who effort was too powerful for Ben Amos to keep out.

Max Power tried his luck from 30-yards with his free-kick, but his powerful strike was saved by Nathan Baxter. In the other goal, Amos acrobatically denied Alfie Jones, by pushing his headed effort over the bar from Callum Elder’s corner, before the Wigan shot-stopper held Pelkas’ curling attempt from the resulting corner.

Just before the first half drew to a close, great link-up play on the right between Coyle and Christie saw the latter cut inside, but his left-footed strike flew over the bar.

For the full report follow the link.

Hull City: Baxter; Coyle (C), A. Jones, Greaves, Elder; Tufan, Slater; Christie, Pelkas (Docherty 62’), Sinik (Longman 63’); Estupiñán (Figueiredo 90’).
Subs Not Used: Ingram, Woods, T. Smith, Seri.

Wigan Athletic: Amos; Nyambe, Whatmough, Tilt, McClean; Power (C), Naylor (Shinnie 76’); Broadhead (Wyke 76’), Keane, Aasgaard (Darikwa 76’); Magennis (Fletcher 88’).
Subs Not Used: Tickle, Kerr, Bennett.

Attendance: 14,669