Hull City 1-1 Sunderland

Hull City retained the Raich Carter Trophy after a 1-1 draw against Sunderland.

Ozan Tufan’s finish cancelled out Ross Stewart’s opener as Sunderland finished the game with 10-men after Elliot Embleton’s dismissal.

Liam Rosenior made two changes to his starting XI from the goalless draw against Watford. Captain Lewie Coyle and forward Óscar Estupiñán returned to the team in place of Alfie Jones and the injured Dimitrios Pelkas.

Prior to the game, both teams took part in a minute’s applause to celebrate the life of former chairman Assem Allam.

The first chance of the game fell to the Tigers as Jean Michaël Seri’s cross-come-shot was pushed away by Sunderland goalkeeper Anthony Patterson, with Estupiñán narrowly missing the chance to divert the original delivery goalwards.

Minutes later, Ryan Longman searched for Coyle at the back post, with his cross being slightly overhit while Sean McLoughlin blocked a delivery from Lynden Gooch that was aimed for Ellis Simms on the Hull City penalty spot.

Estupiñán then glanced a header wide from Coyle’s floated delivery before pinball around the Sunderland penalty almost resulted in a City opener, but Sunderland cleared their lines. From the resulting short corner routine, Estupiñán’s looped header hit the roof of the net. At the other end, Ellis Simms blazed his strike over Matt Ingram’s crossbar before Amad Diallo fired wide with his effort from distance.

In first-half injury-time, Longman saw his powerful shot blocked by Daniel Ballard as the first half ended goalless.

For the full match report follow the link.

Hull City: Ingram; Christie, McLoughlin (Vale 81’), Greaves, Coyle © (Sinik 75’); Seri, Woods; T. Smith (Tufan 71’), Slater, Longman; Estupiñán.
Subs Not Used: Lo-Tutala, Elder, Figueiredo, Docherty.

Sunderland: Patterson; Gooch, O’Nien, Batth (Ballard 14’), Alese (Cirkin 60’); Evans ©, Neil; Diallo (Ba 85’), Embleton, Clarke (Roberts 61’); Simms (Stewart 60’).
Subs Not Used: Bass, Bennette.

Attendance: 18,120