FA Cup: Heaton Stannington 4-1 North Ferriby

North Ferriby FC are out of this year’s FA Cup competition after a 4-1 preliminary qualifying round defeat to Heaton Stannington.

After a promising start, the Villagers were on top in the early stages, but they couldn’t make their half chances count. As the heavens opened, it came at a cost as Heaton adapted to the heavy rain conditions better and played the gritty elements of the game out well.

It was a nervy opening from the Geordie hosts, but to their credit, they grew into the game and were well worth what was an excellent victory for them.

A typically gritty Northern League side, Heaton were a nuisance to break down and after Ferriby made a costly error in their own penalty area, they found themselves 1-0 down as Joe Shepherd fired home.

Ferriby though are built of stern stuff, and they never gave up. As the rain poured down they tried to get back in the game and they got their reward as Liam Dickens fired home from around thirty yards. It was an absolute screamer of a goal, with Ferriby drawing level at 1-1.

Ferriby let their concentration levels slip and conceded a dangerous free kick on the edge of halftime. A good ball was played in and Jordan Watson was able to scramble home for a 2-1 halftime lead.

The Villagers had their fair share of possession in the second half but they couldn’t find an equaliser. They struggled to break Heaton down who defended strongly and marshalled their lines well. Ferriby continued to press but the goal just didn’t come, with Heaton sucker punching them on the counterattack as Leighton Hopper, who was a threat on the left wing, played Konner Lamb into score the home side’s third thanks to a composed finish.

With Ferriby chasing the game, another mistake at the back was punished with Heaton’s Max Cowburn netting their fourth and final goal.

North Ferriby: Hampshaw, Dennett, Start (Nelthorpe) Donald, Tilsley, Dickens, Kirk, Emerton, East, Corner (Stephens) Earl (Forrester).
Subs not used: Rowan, Shortland.

Dan Tomlinson