Brigg Town 3-0 Hall Road Rangers

Brigg Town inflicted a 3-0 defeat on Hall Road Rangers on Saturday at the EC Surfacing Stadium. Hall Road had an early chance which Chris Spinks put wide. In the 16th minute, Rangers carved out another good opportunity when Craig Muirhead cut inside from the left and had an effort saved by Brigg keeper Miles Fenty.

The tempo of the game was firmly in Hall Road’s favour as they continued to create chances. These included a couple of Bailey Smith efforts and a volley from Chris Spinks that went wide. It was Brigg who would make the decisive breakthrough in the 37th minute. This came from a converted penalty from former Rangers player Scott Phillips who kept up his fine form in front of goal.

Both sides saw opportunities come and go in the initial stages of the second half. The referee then became busy in the 77th minute as two players received their marching orders. Paul Wray saw red for Hall Road whilst Brigg player Dayle Hutson was also sent off.

The Zebras doubled their lead in the 85th minute thanks to a Jack Richardson strike after a mistake in play as the hosts pressed the Rangers defence.

Alex Knaggs had a chance to get Hall Road back in the game in the 89th minute when he put his header wide after connecting with a Chris Spinks corner. Brigg subsequently got their third and final goal in added time as James Playford got his name on the scoresheet.

Hall Road joint-manager Leon Sewell was happy with his side’s attacking play but lamented the mistakes that led to Brigg’s goals.

“A great start to the day ended in the game looking like another deflating defeat. It was some of the best football we’ve played and we looked solid throughout. Ultimately, we were our own worst enemy with three unfortunate mistakes that cost us.

We’ve played Rossington Main and Brigg Town back to back and, for me, we played the better football in both games. We now need to make our chances count in front of goal and turn the performances into points” Sewell said.

Report by: Oliver Harsley