Beverley 10-26 Heworth

The Blue and Golds came up against a very strong and well-drilled York outfit on Wednesday evening at the Leisure Center. It was to their credit that they were never over-awed against a side hell-bent on the division 2 title. The early evening sunshine attracted a good-sized crowd and added to the holiday atmosphere.

In summing up, Sam French said “I couldn’t be more prouder of the players. They put a really good shift in against a very well-drilled and tough Heworth side. The attitude and effort was spot on. Our last tackle kick options just didn’t allow us to earn any field position and allowed Heworth a head start when they received the ball. Ultimately, a lot of positives to take and build on to our next game at home to Dewsbury Moor.”

The home side did create an early chance in the 5th minute. Dan Precious’s break found Callum Cone in support whose pass to Will Kirkup saw the young winger unlucky to put a foot in touch as the line beckoned and the cover came across.

The visitors then gave the Beverley line a real pounding as the hosts did well to defend 3 repeat sets close to their own line.

Soon after a mazy run by Bobby Howdle gave Beverly some attacking momentum. However, an interception by Heworth did suggest a certain try but Beverley did well to chase and prevent a score.

The 21st minute did see George Richmond give the visitors the lead converted by George Elliot. Then in the 25th minute they went further ahead when Beverley spilled possession running the ball away from their own line. Billy Sturdy crossed in the corner with the extras not added to take the score to 10-0.

An enterprising short restart kick by Francis Coggle saw him gain possession and immediately put Beverley on the attack. They shortly hit back when the home side’s man of the match Bobby Howdle crabbed across field and found the gap to cross for a try. He converted his own try to reduce the arrears to 6-10.

The visitors then added a penalty and a further unconverted try, both by George Elliot before the break to lead 16-6.

The second half saw Beverley very much under pressure. Handling errors contributed to it and they seemed to be on the wrong end of some very marginal knock-on decisions.

Gareth Watson increased the visitors lead in the 46th minute with a try which was not improved. In between times Beverley’s pack, in particular, Ellis Dickinson and Sam Roe, will come out with some credit for some strong running against a weighty opposing outfit. There was also a number of very difficult high kicks by the opposition which were well fielded by Billy Riby.

Midway through the second half Heworth increased their lead courtesy of a Danny Allen try converted by George Elliot.

The 72nd minute did see some well-deserved points pulled back for Beverley. Bobby Howdle’s offload found Billy Riby in support whose pass sent Alex Nutall over. The extras were not added and the score remained at 26-10 at the final whistle.

Beverley now have 17 days rest before their next fixture at home to Dewsbury Moor on June 18th.

Tries: A. Nuttall, R. Howdle
Goal: R. Howdle

Tries: L. Richmond, G. Watson, D. Allan, W. Sturdy, T. Craig
Goals: G. Elliott (3)

Nick Robinson