Weekend Review: 27th September 2021

It was a thrilling weekend of local sport. Excellent wins for Hull KR, Beverley RUFC, Beverley Town and North Ferriby. Whilst Hull City, Hull City Ladies and Hall Road Rangers all continued their respective sub-par run of form.

Hull Kingston Rovers are now just 80 minutes from a trip to the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford. Many experts and pundits ahead of the Friday night fixture had written Rovers off. The Robins lined up without nine key first-team players against an almost full-strength Warrington side. It was the defensive efforts from KR which deserved all the plaudits. A late try at the end of the first half from the Man of Steel nominee Jordan Abdull gave Tony Smith’s men the advantage. A delightful chip and chase from Mikey Lewis extended KR’s lead. The game was all but done when Jimmy Keinhorst crossed for the final try, shortly followed by an Abdull drop goal. Warrington Wolves 0-19 Hull KR

Beverley RUFC had an excellent afternoon at Beaver Park. After two defeats in a row, Beverley were hoping to get back to winning ways, managing to do so in emphatic style over Bradford Salem. The Beavers scored nine tries throughout the game, including four for the impressive outside back Boardman. John Nursey provides a full report on the Ladies Day and Beverley RUFC 55-5 Bradford Salem.

Beverley Town continued their long unbeaten run with a victory at home to Hessle Rangers. Town stormed to a 4-0 lead at halftime. A brace of goals for both Will Waudby and Dan Finch, with three goals coming in the space of 5 minutes. Second half Rangers managed to peg two goals back late on through Howe. Post-match Town manager Mike Thompson spoke to the Three O’clock Kick Off team about the 4-2 victory.

Hull City continued their poor run at the start of the Championship season with a 2-0 defeat away at Stoke. Two well-taken goals on either side of halftime were City’s undoing. First from Mario Vrancic and after the break former City loanee Nick Powell with a great free-kick. McCann’s side never seemed to threaten the Potters goal after Coyle hit the post during the first half. Stoke City 2-0 Hull City

North Ferriby continue their unbeaten league form in style with the thrashing of 10-man Worsbrough Bridge Athletic. The Villagers led at the break 5-0, Danny East opened the scoring in the 12th minute, Joel Shortland bagged a brace, Tom Corner scored the first of his two during the game, whilst the visitors also contributed with an own goal. Second period it was evident Ferriby had taken their foot off the gas a little. Athletic pulled a goal back through a Tarbotton own goal. The scoring was rounded off with Corner’s second of the game. Full Report: North Ferriby 6-1 Worsbrough Bridge.

Hall Road Rangers exited the FA Vase with a defeat away at Abbey Hey. Two goals in the opening 20 minutes but Rangers into the lead. From that point it fell apart for Hall Road, Abbey scored three before halftime. Second half was close until late on with two goals for the hosts. Full time: Abbey Hey 5-2 Hall Road Rangers.

Hull City Ladies suffered another defeat at the hands of Burnley. Last time out the visitors won in the League Cup 7-2. Back in league action on this occasion, Burnley ran out winners with two quick goals midway through the first half and a late strike on the counter as the Tigresses tried to push for a goal back. There was some drama away from the pitch with two players sin-binned and a substitute sent off but the referee never made it clear what for as the was no incident leading up to the event. Hull City Ladies 0-3 Burnley

Reported by: Simon Bromwich