Weekend Review – 11th October 2021

It was a big and potentially significant weekend for the local side who played over the past couple of days. There was also news from our two local pro rugby league clubs despite being out of season.

Beverley Town welcomed a large crowd to their East Riding Senior Cup fixture at Norwood. Dunnington from the York Football League was offering some tough opposition on the day. Beverley was generally the more possession dominant team throughout the first half but with very few chances to open the scoring. This was until the 43rd minute when Chris Adams cut in from the wing guiding his effort beyond the keeper.
New signing Eddie Rogerson entered the field during the second half with hopes of potentially extending the Town lead, but it was the visitors who equalised midway through the second period. A flurry of chances came as both sides pushed for a winner. Adam Nicholson in the Town goal making an excellent save to keep it at 1-1. The winner came with just five minutes left after Town was awarded a penalty, Will Waudby stepped up to score. It was an entertaining game and one which we hope will encourage many to return to Norwood again. Following the win manager, Mike Thompson spoke to the Three O’clock Kick-off team.

North Ferriby drew in a frustrating game at home to Ollerton. Despite being down to ten men following Niall Tilsley receiving a second yellow card during the first half, Ferriby created a raft of chances but failed to convert until late on in the second period. The Danny Emerton strike was not enough as Ollerton scored in the closing moments. Ash Walker has provided us with a full report of North Ferriby 1-1 Ollerton.

Hall Road Rangers always had an uphill struggle when they visited the league leaders Brigg Town. It was a far more even fixture than expected with Rangers creating plenty of first-half chances. A penalty for the hosts separated the two sides from the 37th minute through to the final five. Both sides ended the game with ten men, but it was the hosts who came off the better with two late goals. A scoreline that may not have matched the game, Oliver Harsley has the full report of Brigg Town 3-0 Hall Road.

Hull City Ladies also faced top of their league this weekend. The Tigress are still winless but by no means hopeless following a valiant display on Sunday afternoon. It did not look promising early as Wolves opened the scoring inside the opening five minutes. A long-ranged Liberty Bott free-kick equalled the game just before half-time. Both sides came close during the second half, but HCL took a surprise lead from a fine individual effort from Emily Smith. This riled up the home team who immediately scored two in a minute to win the close contest: Wolves 3-2 Hull City Ladies.

Young Hull Kingston Rovers half-back Mikey Lewis has been called up to the England Knights squad to face Jamaica on Friday night. The Robins academy product has had a successful season both in Super League with KR being involved with 14 tries across 10 games and in the Championship with York City Knights. George Lawler who left the club at the end of the season has also earned a call up to the Knights.

Hull FC have announced a one-year contract extension for outside-back Mitieli Vulikijapani. The 27-year-old Fijian made six appearances in Black and White this season. Vulikijapani becomes the most recent member of the FC squad to commit to next season with many players most notably Chris Satae and Manu Ma’u also resigning in the last week.

Reported by: Simon Bromwich