Station Sponsors


Valuable away point for City

Brentford 1 – 1 Hull City (Saturday August 17)

Hull City and Brentford played out an entertaining 1-1 draw at Griffin Park after Jarrod Bowen had given the Tigers the lead early in the second half, only for Ollie Watkins to reply for the hosts.

The starting eleven showed just one change from the side that began against Reading last weekend as George Honeyman made a first league start for the Club, coming in for Daniel Batty who dropped to the bench. Leonardo Da Silva Lopes and Josh Magennis featured on the Tigers’ league team-sheet for the first time and were named amongst the substitutes.

Looking to make another quick start, McCann’s men threatened in the third minute when Stephen Kingsley’s dangerous cross towards Bowen had to be cut out by a home defender.

The Bees were also looking bright and a well-timed tackle was needed from Kevin Stewart to put an end to a quick counter-attack.

Kamil Grosicki bent a free kick into the side-netting before a low ball in from Eric Lichaj was snuffed out by goalkeeper David Raya.

Bowen dragged a right-footed shot wide from the edge of the box before Jordy de Wijs headed wide from a Bowen set-piece delivery.

Stewart saw a 25-yarder pushed over the bar by Raya as the visitors continued to look the better side, while at the other end George Long made his first save when claiming a Sergi Canos effort.

Bowen fired straight at Raya as McCann’s men went straight back on the attack, but the half would end goalless.

The Tigers made a change at the interval with Leonardo Da Silva Lopes coming on for Eric Lichaj who had picked up a hamstring injury. Da Silva slotted in at right back, while Jackson Irvine took the captain’s armband.

Brentford created the first chance of the second half when Ollie Watkins found himself in space inside the box but he placed an effort well wide of Long’s goal.

The Tigers also created a chance early in the second period, and they took it. A 53rd-minute Grosicki corner was cleared out to the edge of the box to where Stewart was waiting. His effort was blocked, with the ball rebounding out to Da Silva who calmly picked out Bowen inside the area and he lashed a shot beyond Raya to give the visitors the lead.

Tom Eaves went close to adding a second soon after but he was denied by Raya from a chance that had been set up by some superb play from Bowen down the right, while Brentford went close to levelling through Bryan Mbeumo who curled just wide.

Reece Burke picked up a yellow card for a foul on Canos by the corner flag and it was Canos who also nearly produced an equaliser with an effort that took a deflection on its way just wide of Long’s left-hand post.

Batty replaced Honeyman with a little over 20 minutes remaining but Brentford soon got themselves on level terms. A low ball in from the right was met by Watkins and he managed to get enough of a touch to take the ball into the corner of the net.

A superb save from Long denied Watkins a second soon after while for the Tigers, Magennis came on for Eaves.

Stewart had the best opportunity to win it for the Tigers late on but he blazed a shot high over the bar, while for Brentford a great chance was headed wide as the points were shared.

Hull City: George Long; Eric Lichaj © (Leonardo Da Silva Lopes 46), Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Stephen Kingsley; George Honeyman (Daniel Batty 69), Kevin Stewart, Jackson Irvine; Jarrod Bowen, Tom Eaves (Josh Magennis 73), Kamil Grosicki.

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Jon Toral, Josh Bowle

(Report courtesy of )