Station Sponsors

DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA

Traffic delay fears over major new road scheme

Concern has been expressed about potential traffic delays caused by a major new road improvement scheme starting in Beverley next week.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council has announced that work is due to start on the A1079 Killingwoldgraves Roundabout on Monday, 11th September, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2017. The scheme involves widening the A1079 leg from Hull along with the A1174 and A1035 legs to provide longer two-lane approaches and entries to the junction, and also providing two lanes for circulation on the roundabout itself.

The scheme is costing £1.145million, including a £916,000 contribution from the York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership’s Local Growth Fund. This funding has been secured following the submission of a successful bid by the council.

It aims to reduce the queues and congestion currently forming on the approaches to the roundabout, improving journey times and journey time reliability along the A1079 and other roads passing through the junction.

The work will also ensure that the junction can accommodate additional traffic generated by new housing and employment development allocated in the council’s Local Plan whilst continuing to provide a vital strategic link for a wide variety of travel purposes.

In order to minimise disruption to the travelling public and local residents, the council says the  following working restrictions will be put in place:-

  • Between the hours of 7.30am and 9.30am and from 3.30pm to 7pm there will be no restrictions to traffic.
  • Between the hours of 9.30am and 3.30pm, single way movement around the whole junction will be maintained.
  • Between the hours of 7pm and 7.30am, five-way traffic signals will be in operation.
  • Noisy operations such as road planing, hydraulic breaking and reversing bleepers will not be permitted between the hours of 11pm and 7.30am.

An East Riding of Yorkshire Council spokesperson said: “We apologise for any inconvenience caused to motorists during these works, but they have been scheduled outside of peak hours to minimise any disruption. We hope that road users will bear with us whilst we complete this very important project.”

However, East Riding councillor Denis Healy said: “Local residents are concerned that once again they might be facing the prospect of lengthy traffic delays as they go about their daily business. The memories of the debacle with the new link road in Molescroft this time last year and the chaos it caused for weeks on end are still fresh in people’s minds.”

He continued:  “The road infrastructure has to be improved to accommodate the council’s strategy of relentless development, but there has been no consultation with ward councillors over this, particularly over timing. In particular I want to know why they have waited until the schools go back before starting these roadworks. It would have been better to start in summer when the roads were quieter.

“The council say this project will be completed by the end of this year, but we all remember the overrun on the Molescroft link road, and I will be asking what penalties will be imposed on the contractor for potential delays here.

“I really hope we are not in for another dark autumn of traffic frustration as last year, but I can understand residents’ concerns even before the first traffic cone has appeared.”