Shirebrook Town 0-3 North Ferriby

North Ferriby got their 2021/22 NCEL Division One campaign underway with a fantastic and, well – deserved 3-0 at Shirebrook Town. The Villagers dominated this game and it was only thanks to some excellent goalkeeping by Town’s keeper Michael Ball the score was only three in the end. 

North Ferriby manager Chris Bolder summed up the result and performance in saying: “It was a great start for us, a clean sheet and we have scored some goals today. In the first half I thought we were outstanding we really took the game to them with an unbelievable intensity.  

“We created some great opportunities and their goalkeeper has kept the score to just two at half-time. In the second half full credit to them, they were in a position where they had nothing to lose and they came at us and controlled the ball for fifteen minutes or so. There was no question we were on the back foot before we regained our composure and we regained control of the game and had another eight attempts on goal.”  

It was Ferriby who had the first chance of the game when Tom Corner headed wide from a Jamie Forrester corner which put Ball under pressure. A minute later, Forrester was again involved again as he saw his free-kick saved by Ball. Ferriby started to show their dominance and a flick-on from Corner found Danny East who’s attempt was comfortably dealt with by the keeper. 

Liam Nelthorpe then saw his cross cum shot tipped onto the bar by Ball and go out for a Ferriby corner. The chance was created after some great footwork from Forrester and good play by Danny Emerton. The Villagers finally took the lead on the 24th minute. A corner from Forrester found East who saw his shot blocked on the line and the ball fell to summer acquisition Matty Plummer who fired the ball into the goal.  

The Villagers doubled their lead after 38 minutes after great defending from Ben Leyland gave him possession of the ball. The left-back played a ball to Forrester who found himself in space with East in support. Forrester went on his own before rifling a shot from 25 yards out go past Ball and nestle in the host’s goal and a 2-0 half-time lead. 

The hosts changed their system at halftime and adopted a back 4 which helped them gain some foothold on the game. They worked hard but the Villagers were equal to them defensively. It was the visitors though who had the first real chance of the half as Eddie Rogerson shot over the bar after great work from Danny Emerton.  

The hosts had their first real effort just after 50 minutes when half-time substitute Josiah Robinson saw his effort from close range saved by Lewis Exall.  This was a wake-up call for Ferriby and Eddie Rogerson nearly capitalised on an error from a Shirebrook defender out saw his effort go wide.  

Ferriby continued to pile on the pressure as Louis Kirk saw his shot go over the bar before the Villagers put the result beyond doubt on the 77th minute. East capitalised on another error from a Shirebrook defender and go one on one with Ball. The Ferriby skipper for the day smartly put his shot past the keeper to give the Villagers a deserved three-goal win.  

Shirebrook Town: Michael Ball, Cory Eagle, Kieran Ordidge (Sykes-Tobin), Jack Hutchinson, Macole Lannaman, Joel Harris, Kurtis Cockburn (Greaves), Daniel Ramsey, Daniel Fullwood, Joshua Devereux, Jordan Parsons (Robinson) Subs: Conor Greg, Kieron Tobin-Sykes, Marcel Greaves, Josiah Robinson, Ethan Knowles 

Report by: Ash Walker at the Langwith Road (

North Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Liam Nelthorpe, Levi Tarbotton, Matt Plummer, Ben Leyland, Louis Kirk, Eddie Rogerson, Danny Emerton (Carew), Jamie Forrester, Tom Corner (Buttle), Danny East (Fenton) Subs: Jordan Douglas, Danny Buttle, Joe McFadyen, Harry Fenton, Harvey Carew 

Goals: Plummer (24), Forrester (38), East (78) 

Referee: Christopher Rose 

Half-time: 0-2 

Man of the match: Jamie Forrester