Station Sponsors


Rugby League: Hull lose out again in final game

Wigan 14 – 12 Hull FC (Friday September 28)

A brave performance from the Black & Whites saw them fall painfully short in their final game of the 2018 season, ultimately losing 14-12 to Wigan. Hull ran into a 12-0 lead thanks to tries from Carlos Tuimavave and Jamie Shaul, but the Warriors fought back in the contest as Hamlin, Sarginson and Gildart all crossed.

In a tense and nervy second-half, the Airlie Birds had their opportunities to end the campaign with a win, but a concoction of errors and strong Warriors defence prevented a deserved Hull FC victory.

Ryan Sutton looked to have given the Warriors the lead after ten minutes in the contest. A powerful run from the bullish forward deep in Hull FC territory saw him crash over the line, only to be held up by some strong last second defence from the Black & Whites.

Hull had early chances in the game with breaks from their own half from both Jamie Shaul and Bureta Faraimo, but Wigan’s defence held firm with Escare having the pace to end the attack on both occasions.

But it was third time lucky for the visitors who took the lead on the 20 minute mark. A pin-point cross-field kick from Jordan Abdull was patted down from Jake Connor into the arms of Carlos Tuimavave who touched down.

Hull made it back-to-back scores shortly after and kept the pressure on the Warriors in the first-half. Some superb creativity from Jake Connor saw his switch of direction allow him space to slot through a grubber and set up Jamie Shaul to touch down.

Hull’s 12 point gap was short lived though, as Gabriel Hamlin found a gap in the Black & Whites line to race over shortly after.

HALF-TIME: Wigan 6-12 Hull FC

Wigan started the better side after the restart, and managed the first score of the half. A shallow cross-field kick from George Williams was collected by former England-international centre Dan Sarginson, who out-jumped Jake Connor to the ball to score. Woods missed the kick to keep Hull marginally ahead.

And Shaun Wane’s side took the lead for the first time in the game with 20 minutes remaining when Oliver Gildart managed to scurry over the line and get an arm free to place the ball down. Woods missed the kick and Hull trailed by 2.

Hull had several opportunities close to the Wigan line in a valiant second-half effort, but ultimately errors prevented their chance of claiming a late victory.

FULL-TIME: Wigan 14-12 Hull FC

Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Bureta Faraimo, Carlos Tuimavave, Cameron Scott, Fetuli Talanoa, Jordan Abdull, Jake Connor, Masi Matongo, Danny Houghton, Scott Taylor, Danny Washbrook, Josh Griffin, Brad Fash.

Hull FC Bench: Lewis Bienek, Jez Litten, Hakim Miloudi, Mickey Paea.

(Report courtesy of