Station Sponsors


Rugby League: Hull FC still looking for first away win

Salford Red Devils 24 – 8 Hull FC (Friday March 16)

Hull FC looked to be still in the contest at the break with a first-half try from Dean Hadley seeing the visitors trail by just two points. However the hosts ran away with the scoreline in the second 40 minutes, with tries from Jack Littlejohn, Robert Lui and Greg Johnson sealing Ian Watson’s side second win of the season.

Salford began the game the better side, piling pressure of the Hull FC line in their very first set and making the most of several early Hull errors. And it was first points to the hosts as Robert Lui slotted over a penalty goal after seven minutes.

Hull tried to turn the pressure on the hosts with Jake Connor making a brilliant attempt at a 40/20 after 13 minutes, but a sensational effort from Niall Evalds kept the ball in play for the Devils.

But Hull soon did turn pressure into points. Back-to-back penalties saw the Black & Whites camped on the Devils’ line, with Dean Hadley getting on the end of a smart grubber by Jake Connor to touch down on the quarter of an hour mark. Sneyd converted.

The try sparked FC into life, with Lee Radford’s men continuing to play their game in the Salford half. Marc Sneyd slotted over another penalty with 10 minutes in the half remaining to take them six points ahead.

However, the hosts ensured the contest would remain a tight one, with new-signing Ben Nakubuwai bouncing off the FC line to score under the posts. Robert Lui converted to bring Salford level.

And despite arguably being the weaker side in the opening 40 minutes, Ian Watson’s side would take the lead before the break, with Robert Lui adding a further penalty on the 38th minute mark.

Defenses dominated the third-quarter of the contest, with both Salford and Hull’s kickers sending the game from one end of the field to the other. But it would be the Red Devils who managed their first score after the restart. Jack Littlejohn finished off a move down Hull’s right flank to touch down in the corner for his first club try.

Hull’s hopes in the contest were somewhat reduced when Jamie Shaul left the field with a head injury with 15 minutes to play. And any chance that Hull had remaining in the game were brought to an end when Robert Lui dashed over from close range to seal the victory of the Red Devils.

Hull’s woes were increased with five minutes to play as Greg Johnson found space to touch down in the corner.


Hull FC:Jamie Shaul, Bureta Faraimo, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Fetuli Talanoa, Jake Connor, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Washbrook, Chris Green, Dean Hadley, Mark Minichiello, Jordan Abdull.

Hull FC Interchange: Brad Fash, Masi Matongo, Jordan Lane, Josh Bowden.