Preston North End 1-4 Hull City

Hull City started the new season with a flourish, beating Preston North End in a magnificent display against a team that finished mid-table last season.

Preston scored the first goal in the opening ten minutes and it certainly looked as if they were the better team in the first quarter of the game. The Tigers looked to be off the pace of the game and it seemed to take an age for them to settle into the game. The tide was slow to turn with Keane Lewis-Potter levelling the score ahead of the interval. Richie Smallwood, Josh Magennis and Andy Cannon added second-half goals to send a vocal away following home happy.

There was an early injury to Preston goalkeeper Declan Rudd, who slid out of his box, straight into Lewis-Potter as they both competed for a ball that was flagged offside anyway.

Preston took lead in the eighth minute when Tom Barkhuizen found space on the right and delivered a low cross for Emil Riis to score at the far post.

Rudd was replaced by Daniel Iversen as a ‘concussion substitution, meaning that City would be able to make four changes during the game.

Lewis-Potter was denied what looked like a clear penalty on 27 minutes as he fought off a challenge outside of the box only to get a shove as he moved in on goal.

On 35 minutes Smallwood played a great ball in between two defenders sending Lewis-Potter through to score in the bottom corner.

Moncur had an effort curl over the top as the Tigers continued to enjoy a good spell, but Preston were not done and Riis volleyed high over the bar just a minute before halftime.

Matt Ingram saved a shot from Preston substitute Brad Potts early in the second half and was there again to keep out Barkhuizen as he picked up on a loose ball.

City had their own promising moves with Magennis heading over from a Coyle cross and Wilks clipping off target.

The Tigers took the lead just after the hour mark. With a soft goal from Smallwood shot 20 yards out that was deflected towards the goal in almost slow-motion fashion.

A third goal five minutes from time sealed the Tigers win, with a Lewis-Potter ball from the left being met at the near post by Magennis.

Magennis was replaced by Tom Eaves and Cannon came on for Moncur. Eaves with a cute backheel off the goal line, teeing up Cannon, who made it 4-1 with a low strike from the angle which found the bottom corner.

REPORT BY: Tom Haymes (Hull City OSC)

Preston North End: Declan Rudd (Daniel Iversen 13), Greg Cunningham (Sepp Van Den Berg 46), Ben Whiteman (Daniel Johnson 70), Liam Lindsay, Alan Browne, Ched Evans, Jordan Storey, Andrew Hughes, Ryan Ledson, Emil Riis (Brad Potts 46), Tom Barkhuizen.
Subs Not Used: Patrick Bauer, Joe Rodwell-Grant, Jamie Thomas.

Hull City: Matt Ingram; Lewie Coyle, Alfie Jones, Jacob Greaves, Josh Emmanuel; Richie Smallwood ©, Greg Docherty, George Moncur (Andy Cannon 89); Mallik Wilks (Matt Smith 80), Josh Magennis (Tom Eaves 89), Keane Lewis-Potter (James Scott 90).
Subs Not Used: Nathan Baxter, Brandon Fleming, Di’Shon Bernard.

Referee: Mr G. Ward.