North Shield (p)2-2 North Ferriby

North Ferriby FC’s FA Vase run is over after a 6-5 penalty defeat to North Shields after a battling 2-2 draw saw Chris Bolder’s men come from behind twice.  The hosts got off to a flying start when David Robinson found space on the Ferriby left and was the recipient of an excellent cross-field ball by North Shields danger man Dan Wilson. The North Shields right-winger calmly slotted past Jordan Douglas to put the hosts 1-0 up after 90 seconds. 

The Villagers attempted to get back into the game and it was Jamie Forrester who was at the main architect of any chances the Villagers produced. The midfielder shot from range that didn’t trouble Olly Marshall in the North Shields goal. Forrester went closer when he forced Marshall into a save a few moments later as the Villagers started to get more comfortable as the game went on. 

The Villagers deservedly pulled level when a Danny East cross on the left-hand side was deflected Anthony Myers and past Marshall who could only watch as the ball hit the back of the net.

The second half began the same way the first had. The hosts pulled ahead and the impressive Wilson was at the centre of the attack. The big striker was a handful for Niall Tilsley before putting the ball across the box where he found Callum Smith who beat Jordan Douglas to put the hosts back ahead. 

Ferriby struggled to get going in the early phases of the half and nearly conceded again when Wilson received the ball halfway and played a great ball out to the left-hand side. The North Shields winger pulled the ball across the face of goal. Wilson couldn’t reach the ball and at the back post Robinson couldn’t convert the great chance. 

Ferriby grew into the game and we’re awarded a great chance when skipper Niall Tilsley ran with the ball towards the North Shields goal. He was brought down at the edge of the area and up stepped Jamie Forrester. The midfielder produced a moment of pure class and sent the ball over the wall and past Marshall to pull the scores level. This goal was the 50th scored by the Villagers this season. 

Neither side could find the winning goal so the game was to be decided by penalties.

The scores were level after five kicks each. East, Buttle, Kirk, Carew and Forrester all converted for Ferriby. Second-half substitute Jamie Norvell put North Shields 6-5 up and then North Ferriby captain Niall Tilsley saw his penalty saved by Marshall to put the hosts through to the FA Vase 3rd round. North Ferriby assistant manager Paul Robson summed up his thoughts after the game, “We discussed with the lads that when we got the ball down and played the way we want to play we started to open them up numerous times and control the game after the first 15 minutes. A couple of lapses of concentration have let them in a couple of times but every single player in the team put in a shift”. Robson then went on to say, “We could have won the game, we didn’t create a lot of clear-cut chances but we put their defence under pressure with crosses and out interplay in and around the box. When it goes to penalties it’s a toss-up”. 

North Ferriby: 1) Douglas 2) Plummer (15 Dennett) 3) Kemp 4) Tarbotton 5) Tilsley 6) Shortland (14. Buttle) 7) Emerton (12 Carew) 8) Kirk 9) Forrester 10) East 11) Corner 
Subs not used: 13) Exall 16) Jurkstis 

Report kindly provided by North Ferriby.