North Ferriby FC 4-0 West Auckland

A brilliant performance from North Ferriby saw them power through to the Buildbase FA Vase Fifth Round with a stunning 4-0 victory over West Auckland. It was a performance of the highest quality in a game Ferriby dominated in every department for the full 90 minutes. 

Ferriby manager Chris Bolder was delighted with his side’s display when he said: “The boys were top drawer and came out thoroughly deserved winners. 

“They put it on us a little bit in the second half and we got through a period where we did get a little bit jaded but on the balance of play and chances created. We are confident with the group of players we have got with a fantastic team spirit and mind set of them all being in it together and all pulling in the same direction.  

“The biggest prize at the minute is to keep playing week on week, I think you have seen both this week and last, the hunger and drive from each player to continue. I thought we were tremendous in every department even after they threw everything at us just after half-time and 2-0 down so it was important we stayed strong and were resilient and we were.” 

It was Ferriby who hit the ground running in taking the game to their Northern League opponents when a Danny Emerton shot was parried away by Auckland keeper Jonathan Ball. Jamie Forrester then sent a 25 yard shot wide before Ferriby took the lead on twelve minutes.  

Danny Clarke, who was causing Auckland early problems with his robust play, turned in the box before he was upended by Auckland full back Andre Bennett and a penalty was awarded. Up stepped Forrester to fire a low shot into the bottom corner out of Ball’s reach for 1-0. 

Seven minutes later Ferriby thought they had doubled their lead when Forrester netted again only for the referee to give a free kick against Clarke. But the home side did make it 2-0 when a superb Forrester ball over the top saw Tom Corner control and fire the ball past Ball.  

Auckland had a chance when the ball was misjudged by Ferriby keeper Lewis Exall but he recovered to stop a David Dowson shot. Corner was then tumbled over with Ball called into action through another Forrester long range shot before he stuck another shot just wide from another free kick. 

The visitors came out in the second half looking to get back into the game as Exall was able to deny Dowson yet again before another Forrester cross saw Levi Tarbotton head high and wide. Ferriby continued to press and it was only a matter of time before they scored again. 

Danny Buttle came on Forrester with fifteen minutes to go and he had a massive contribution in scoring the final two goals and he could have had more. With three minutes to go the winger picked up on a massive defensive error to plant the ball in the net and put the tie out of sight but the Villagers were not finished. 

Going into the final minute Buttle latched onto an Exall long kick and he rifled the ball into the net to complete a fantastic victory. Buttle will also be disappointed not to have added two more in injury time but Ferriby had done enough and will travel to Warrington Rylands on Saturday for Round Five.  

North Ferriby FC:  (4-5-1) Lewis Exall; Liam Nelthorpe, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley ©, Laurence McKay; Danny Emerton, Jamie Forrester, Louis Kirk, Tom Corner, Joel Shortland; Danny Clarke Subs: Danny East (Clarke 65), Danny Buttle (Forrester (65), Iwan Heeley (Emerton 80) Not used: Ben Leyland, Josh Dennett,  

Goal: Forrester (12 pen), Corner (24), Buttle (87, 90) 

West Auckland: (4-3-3) Jonathan Bell; Andre Bennett, Arron Thompson, Gary Brown, Michael Hoganson; Evan Horwood, Leon Scott, Adam Mitchell ©; Kyle Fryatt, David Dowson, Jordan Blinco Subs: Decklan Greenwood (Bell 47), Christopher Hunter (Fryatt 20), Liam Hegarty (Scott 73) Not used:  Jamie Hoban, Marc Ellison, Daniel Mitton, Lewis Dodds  

Referee: Matthew Wright 

Thanks to Mark Chestney for this report