Station Sponsors


LOCAL SOCCER: Point for Town in bruising encounter

Beverley Town 1 – 1 Reckitts (Saturday, January 13)

Town went into this game full of confidence against a side two places above them in second place in the Humber Premier League. The game started at a frantic pace, with both sides determined to stamp their authority on proceedings. Chances were few and far between; however Town winger Niall Ringrose created two good opportunities after some great work down the left-hand side.

But it was Reckitts who struck first after the Beverley defence switched off  and a long ball over the top wasn’t dealt with; Rich Medcalf finished calmly past Town’s keeper Matthew Spencer.

This spurred Beverley into life, with Kegan Rose putting in numerous crunching tackles and Matty Littlefield working hard to create an opening. It was Town skipper Nathan White that made it 1-1 on 30 minutes – he  picked up the ball on the right and, from 35 yards out, curled a shot into the top corner, giving the Reckitts keeper no chance.

The second half started in the same vein, with tackles flying and both teams committed to getting three points. Town, however, started to get a slight hold on the game and created more half chances without really threatening the keeper.

The introduction of Leon Dawson did give Town that extra bit of creativity and it was Dawson who went close, firstly with a long-range shot, and then with a cross that agonisingly drifted wide. Town keeper Matthew Spencer was rarely troubled and the defence in front of him dealt well with any threat.

However, the game boiled over in the last ten minutes, when a poor challenge lead to a melee between a number of players on the pitch. This resulted in a straight red card for Town’s Kegan Rose and Reckitts player Giles.

Town pushed hard for the winner and a last minute corner from Leon Dawson bounced inside the six yard box, just needing a touch. Unfortunately the cross drifted agonisingly past everyone and the game ended 1-1.

Town manager Rich Jagger commented: “It was a tough, physical, game today. I thought our young side equipped themselves well against a team that tried to stamp their physicality on to the game at every opportunity. For me it’s an indication of how much this team has matured, I think in previous years we might have been intimidated, but the lads today put in a real fight. On another day we could have nicked all three points but I think, in the end, a draw was about the right result. It extends our unbeaten run to eight games and keeps us very much in touch with the teams above us. “