Station Sponsors


LOCAL SOCCER: Just one of those days for Town!

South Cave United 3 – 0 Beverley Town (Saturday January 20)

Town went into this game missing seven regulars, but were still confident of achieving a result.  However this wasn’t to be after a dreadful first-half performance.

Town went 1-0 down after just three minutes, switching off at a Cave free-kick, which allowed the attacker to nip in at the front post and head home unchallenged.

This set the tone for the next 20 minutes; Town struggled to string two passes together and lacking organisation all over the pitch.  The front three of Cave caused several problems and were unlucky not to double the lead on a couple of occasions.

Things went from bad to worse when Town were reduced to ten men on 20 minutes, when Matty Littlefield miss-controlled a ball on the half-way line and, in an attempt to win it back, his frustration boiled over with a mistimed tackle.  The referee deemed it to be a straight red, when in all honesty it looked like a yellow at best, particularly when the Cave full back was up on his feet in no time.

Town tried to tighten things up with the aim of getting in at half time and regrouping. However, Cave added a second goal on 45 minutes after some neat play down their right hand side, the ball was crossed into the box and finished calmly from two yards out.

Words were spoken at half-time and the formation changed in an all-or-nothing attempt to get something from the game. Town started brighter, seeing more of the ball and starting to play it around a little.  It was difficult to create too many openings, but Stu Oliver was aggressive down the wing, and the midfield three started to dictate play.  On 69 minutes Beverley had a real chance to get back in the game when skipper Nathan White stepped over the ball, thus creating an opening for striker Alex Stark who unfortunately fired narrowly over the bar from 15 yards out.

Town  continued to edge the half, and created a couple more half chances, before Cave scored their third goal, against the run of play to kill any hope Town had in the game.

Beverley manager Rich Jagger said after the game: “We conceded after two minutes and were sloppy from the off. Matty was unlucky to get sent off but that’s one of those things.  Second half we were much better but the damage was done. The first half performance was not acceptable and we dropped well below the standards we have set ourselves. It was one of those games where everyone was poor and nothing went right for us. We have to dust our selves down and go again next week when we have key players back and changes will be made”