Station Sponsors


LOCAL RUGBY LEAGUE: Beverley now one win from title

WATERHEAD WARRIORS 22 – 44 BEVERLEY (Saturday July 21)

The Blue & Golds chalked up this latest win to put them on the brink of silverware. Victory now at home to Millom this coming Saturday will deliver them the Division 3 title.

It was not all plain sailing, however, as the hosts put up a spirited performance to make Beverley work hard for their points. And afterwards, coachScott Taylor commented: ”We again had a slow start but we blew them away in attack when we got the chance. Our finishing was clinical at times and we did what we had to do to move a step nearer that title.”

Some scrappy play after ten minutes saw the home side take the lead. A kick from the play-the-ball saw Liam Aspin touch  down as most players seemed to be waiting for the referee’s whistle. The extras were added, but shortly afterwards Billy Riby joined the line to send Trevor Penrose over for Josh Poskitt to convert.

It took until the half-hour mark until Alex Starling cut through a few defenders to put the visitors in front.

Soon after Andrew Ward was pulled up just short. A quick play-the-ball saw Jack Howdle’s well-timed pass send Josh Poskitt over. With half-time fast approaching, Sam Brown’s break down the left flank saw him supply an inside pass to send Billy Riby over. All tries were improved for a 24-6 interval lead.

The home side threatened to pull back points early in the second half and there was some good defence by Billy Riby to keep them out. And Riby almost scored at the other end but was pulled up just short.

An infringement at the play-the-ball then saw the ball moved wide from the resulting penalty, for Alex Starling to send Sam Brown over.

A glorious piece of play then followed. Lewis Poskitt’s well-weighted kick towards the left flank was collected by the deadly finishing Sam Brown, to add his second. Josh Poskitt converted before Alex Calvert forced his way over for a further try that was not improved as the score mounted up to 6-40.

The home side refused to be overan and unsettled the champions’ elect with some enterprising play. Luke Makin, Mathew Holland and Dale Lowe all crossed for tries with two conversions added from Liam Aspin to pull back the score to 22-40.

With five minutes remaining. a penalty to the visitors saw the ball moved out wide to the right for Alex Starling to score his second. Andrew Ward took the man of the match award, decided by the opposing side, in an all-action display in attack and defence.