Station Sponsors


LOCAL FOOTBALL: Town hit two to topple league leaders

Reckitts 0-2 Beverley Town (Saturday 28th October)

Town travelled to league leaders Reckitts on the back of two wins and were full of confidence. Conditions were similar to the previous week, with a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch. Eric Gardham and Tom Davies returned to the side to make up a back three with Kurtis Bedford; apart from that Beverley were unchanged.

Town lost the toss and were made to play down wind in the first half and, as expected, dominated the early play as Reckitts struggled to get out of their own half. Stark should have put Town 1-0 up after 20 minutes, when some fine work by Matty Littlefield down the right-hand side created a great chance, but unfortunately his side-foot shot crept agonisingly wide from five yards out.

Town continued to dominate play with the wind playing a huge part in the game. However, Reckitts defended well and dealt with most things Town threw at them.

On 30 minutes Town took the deserved lead, when a short corner was played to Nathan White, who shifted the ball out of his feet and curled a left-foot shot past the keeper from 20 yards out. And Beverley made it 2-0 ten minutes later when Alex Stark turned his man on the edge of the 18 yard box and fired hard and low into the bottom corner.

Town were now full of energy, which unfortunately boiled over as Nathan White saw red on 42 minutes for what was deemed to be a dangerous challenge by the referee. But they saw out the rest of the half and went in 2-0 up, knowing they had a job to do second half against the wind and with 10 men.

Town started the second half determined to hold on to their lead. On 58 minutes Jordon Organ came on in place of Alex Stark to firm up the midfield. Predictably, Reckitts piled on the pressure, hitting long balls into Town’s box, but these never really troubled the visitors. Reckitts had a sting of corners that tested the Town defence, however Tom Davies seemed to get his head on most things and averted danger on numerous occasions.

Town didn’t have too many chances at the other end, but when they broke with pace on two occasions they were unlucky not score. On 70 minutes Aldo Hysenaj replaced the hard-working Matty Littlefield, and Hysenaj himself created a good chance with Joe Norton, who was narrowly awarded offside when through on goal.

In the dying minutes Reckitts whipped another ball to the back post that was headed wide, and from the resulting goal kick the Referee blew for full time.

Manager Rich Jagger was delighted at full time: “We thoroughly deserved the win today, at 2-0 we were very much on top. The red card was a bit of a blow, however it focused our minds on the job in hand for the second half.. It’s hard to single anyone out today, but the back three were immense. Kegan Rose never stopped in midfield and Matty Littlefield but a good shift in up top too.

That’s three wins on the bounce now and two clean sheets in our last two games. We’ve got two very tough games coming up against Scullys and Carneige but we are full of confidence and with a bit of momentum anything can happen.”