Station Sponsors


LOCAL FOOTBALL: Last-gasp win for Beverley

Beverley Town 1-0 Westella & Willerby (Saturday October 20)

Town went into this game with five regulars missing, but such is the depth at the club they were still able to field a strong side. That said, Westella started strongly and took control of the game from the start of the first half.

Town struggled to keep the ball and subsequently, long balls were easily dealt with by Westella’s well-organised defence. But for all Westella’s domination, they didn’t register too many shots on goal. However, on 30 minutes, they rattled the post after a good move down the right. Luckily for Town, the ball rebounded safely into keeper Mathew Spencer’s hands.

Half time 0-0

Town tweaked things at half-time in an attempt to give them more impetus in the second half.This seemed to work, as Ben Fletcher and the midfield three got on the ball more and began to play football.  Beverley enjoyed better possession and were definitely now in the ascendancy.  However, a bit like Westella in the first half, they never really created too many chances.

Then, just as it looked like the game was going to be played out to a 0-0 draw, Town pinched the win in dramatic style.Winger Joe Norton attacked down the right-hand side and when trying to compete with the Westella player, both ended up on the floor. The assistant flagged for a Westella free kick; however the referee over-ruled him and awarded the free kick to Town.

Michael O’Connell stepped up and whipped in a fantastic in-swinging left-footed free kick; this was met by substitute Alex Stark who glanced a header into the far corner to put Town ahead in the 90th minute. Westella tried desperately to get the equaliser in the last two minutes, but Beverley help firm to register a 1-0 win.

At the end of the game, manager Rich Jagger said he was relieved to get the three points.  “I’m  really pleased for the lads to come away with a win today.  The result was perhaps a bit harsh on Westella, who I though were excellent today. However we ground it out, kept going to the end and kept our second clean sheet on the bounce.

“I know they will feel aggrieved by the decision to award us a free-kick at the end that lead to our goal, but there is still a bit of football to play after that. The ball in from Carney was excellent and the header from Alex Stark was timed to perfection. We move on to Scullys away next week”