Station Sponsors


LOCAL FOOTBALL: Beverley suffer third league defeat

North Ferriby Athletic 2 – 1 Beverley Town (Saturday October 6)

Town went into this game on the back of an excellent 7-2 victory against Reckitts, but mindful of complacency against a competitive Ferriby side.

Town started very slowly, and this set the tone for much of the game. Straight from the kick-off, some poor play let the Ferriby striker in on goal, but luckily for Town his one-on-one with keeper Ollie Thane was dragged wide.

Town continued to struggle with sloppy passing and giving the ball away too easily, and Ferriby created some good chances on the back of this.  However, none of them were converted and Beverley felt relieved to get to half time at 0-0.

Town made a change at half-time, bringing Baxter on for Ben Fletcher in a tactical switch that gave Beverley a bit more balance down the left. However, it was Ferriby that took the lead on 55 minutes, when a crossfield ball to the back post was hammered into the back of Town’s goal from the left-hand side angle.  A great strike that keeper Ollie Thane could do nothing about.

Town responded well and pushed hard to get back into the game.  Ten minutes later Beverley were awarded a free-kick about 25 yards from goal, on the right hand side of the pitch.  Up stepped Michael O’Connell, who drilled an absolute peach of a free kick into the top corner of the goal and even though it went to the keeper’s side there was nothing he could do about it.

Town now had the bit between their teeth. Joe Baxter went close on two occasions and Craig Muirhead saw a header bounce back off the bar.  So it was a little against the run of play when Ferriby scored their second, a slight mix-up at the back let the Ferriby striker in, who calmly finished to make it 2-1 with 15 minutes to go.

Town now threw caution to the wind, with Aldo Hysenaj coming on and also big Danny McHale going up front in an attempt to cause problems.  Ferriby however dealt really well with the threat Town posed. Them, with with only seconds left on the clock Town were to create one last chance.

A fine cross into the box by Michael O’Connell landed perfectly on the head of Craig Muirhead, who from close range saw his header glance agonisingly wide of the post.  That was the last of the action and Town went down to their third defeat of the season.

Manager Rich Jagger spoke after the game: “I thought we started very slowly today and that set the tone for our play for most of the game.  That said, when Carney got the equaliser (what a strike by the way) we lifted our game a bit and thought we could go on and nick it.  Fair play to Ferriby, though. They never stopped and defended well at they end when they needed to.”