DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – Water Pumps
Anyone walking along North Bar Within will have noticed a green unusual looking post close to St Mary’s Church.
Manufactured by William Crosskill (born 1799) there were over 900 water pumps sited all over the town. William had inherited his father’s ironworks at the age of 12. William built the ironworks business and was so successful that manufacturing had to be moved to Mill Lane.During the Crimean War of 1854 Crosskill’s business boomed as the firm supplied shells and carts to the army. Crosskill’s Ironworks ran into financial difficulties and closed in 1904.