DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The Regal Cinema
Built on the junction of Manor Road, Norwood, and Hengate, the Regal Cinema opened to moviegoers in November 1935. The building was incorporated into the fabric of the 18th century Assembly Rooms extension. Operated first by a local exhibitor in association with County Cinemas, it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) in November 1937.
ABC closed the Regal Cinema on 22nd June 1968 and it became a bingo and snooker club. By 1993 both these facilities had closed down and the building became derelict.
It was designated a Grade II listed building, the listing being for its 18th century fragments, rather than the cinema part of the building. The building was demolished in 1998, and housing/retail named Regal Court was built on the site.