DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The Railway Station
Our local railway station has been around for a long time. G.T. Andrews built it in 1846 for the then York & North Midland Railway. The station gained junction status nineteen years later when the North Eastern Railway opened its line to Market Weighton and York. This latter line fell victim to the Beeching Axe on 29 November 1965. The picture shows one of the last trains to Market Weighton and York from Beverley.
The station was also planned to be the junction for the North Holderness Light Railway, a branch line that was to run roughly northeastwards to North Frodingham, with intermediate stops at Tickton, Routh, Long Riston, Leven, and Brandesburton. However, despite appearing on tiled maps of the North Eastern Railway’s network at several of the company’s stations, the branch was never constructed.
Beverley station is unusual in Britain in having an overall iron and glass roof that replaced an earlier one in 1908. It also has an original and distinctive North Eastern Railway iron covered footbridge.