DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The Memorial Hall
Beverley Memorial Hall is just that – a memorial to the men and women of Beverley who fell in World War 2 and in gratitude for those who returned.
Lord Middleton, the then Lord Lieutenant of the East Riding, officially opened it in September 1959, after a 13 year process of changing the former St John’s Church into what we know now as the Memorial Hall. The scheme involved the acquisition of the church on Lairgate, which was consecrated in 1841 and ceased to be used for public worship in 1939. An Act of Parliament, which received the Royal Assent on the 23rd May 1950, deconsecrated the Church and paved the way for its adaptation in two stages – one in 1954 and the other in 1959.
Today the Memorial Hall is used for many community events and activities although it is currently going through a minor building renovation.