DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The High School For Girls
Here is a picture of part of Beverley High School on Norwood. But did you know that this building was once the St Mary’s School, which was constructed in 1875?
It eventually became part of Beverley High School For Girls after the new school opened next to this building on September 23rd 1908. Local newspaper The Beverley Guardian, reported that it opened with 20 pupils, many of them boarders living in the adjacent Norwood House, which was part of the school for many years.
Another interesting thing about the High School is that it had a lake in its grounds until the mid 1950’s when it was filled to make room for a new school extension.
Today the High School has close links with the all-boys Beverley Grammar School, and has a joint sixth form with the both the Grammar School and Longcroft Performing Arts College.
Until recently, it was the highest performing state school in the East Riding of Yorkshire.