DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The Bar Buses
Beverley’s North Bar has a distinctively-shaped arch which has long presented problems to tall vehicles. Traffic, including buses from Driffield, Bridlington and the villages to the north of Beverley came into the town centre through the bar and, when double decker’s arrived, they could not get through. From 1934, therefore, East Yorkshire Motor Services had buses built with specially-shaped roofs. The drivers still had to aim carefully to get through but collisions were mercifully few.
Until the mid 1950s these buses were, from front view, the same shape as the bar arch but, by 1960, bus technology had developed so that new vehicles had lower floors so were not as tall. This allowed buses to go under many more normal bridges but the curves of Beverley Bar still prevented their passage through the arch. For the next 10 years or so, therefore, East Yorkshire Motor Services double decker’s had their bodies built with a modification so their upstairs windows sloped inwards. By the 1970s the roads in Beverley were being improved and then the bus station was built on Sow Hill so the terminus moved from Saturday Market and buses stopped using the bar. Since then East Yorkshire have been able to buy normal buses just like any other operator.