DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – The Old Market
The Georgian Market Cross was built between 1711 and 1714 and was designed by architect Theophilus Shelton. The coats of arms on view include the crest of the Borough of Beverley, and those of Sir Charles Hotham and Sir Michael Warton, the then town’s M.P.s, who contributed towards the construction costs. Situated in the Butterdings area of the town centre, the Market Cross has always been a gathering place especially on market days. In recent years the Christmas decorations on the Market Cross have made it the centre of the towns Christmas activities.
Pictured is the painting by Thomas Bonfrey Burton, Saturday Night, Beverley, East Yorkshire – 1908