DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – Newbegin Bar
In the 15th century four Bars or gates – North, Newbegin, Keldgate, and Norwood controlled the entrances to the town of Beverley. These could only provide limited protection however, as the town had no walls of any significance to keep out any potential invaders!
It is thought that the Bar’s were built to show King Henry IV that the town was not only loyal but also willing to build defences to prove it. King Henry 1V visited Beverley in 1409 and again in 1410.
Pictured is Newbegin Bar that was built in 1409 the same time as the North Bar. By 1790 Newbegin Bar was in such a state of dilapidation that it had to be demolished – never to be replaced.