DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – Longcroft House
Amongst the new houses built in the 19th century was Longcroft House constructed in 1861 for the Beverley magistrate, John Anthony Hudson, to a design by William Botterill of Hull. John Hudson was already the owner of this land when the order was made to stop up Gallows Lane two years previously.
The well-known Beverley engineer, Gordon Armstrong lived there in the 1930s and 40s but the property was then sold and adapted for use as St Mary’s Boys School and was the central building of the East Riding College until it moved to new premisis at Flemingate. The building was demolished in 2016 and the entire site is redeveloped for housing.
Although the main building itself was considerably altered both internally and externally, many of the garden features created with the original construction of the house survived for many years. The house included a ballroom with a sprung wooden floor beneath which lay the swimming pool, stables, garages, a gardener’s cottage and a walled kitchen garden with two greenhouses.
The house also had a lodge on Molescroft Road that is now known as 1 Molescroft Road and sits within the site boundary.