DESIGNED BY GETEXTRA
Beverley History – Cherry’s Coaches
Older readers and listeners to Beverley FM will remember the ancient cream and white buses er coaches, that used to supply the local bus service in and around Beverley. Cherry’s Coaches were seen on a regular basis not only providing a scheduled bus route around the town but also special services for local schools too.
Famous for leaving a cloud of black diesel exhaust fumes wherever they went and for the rapid speed with which they got to their destinations, Cherry Coaches are part of Beverley public transport folk law.
Pictured above is an 1943 AEC Regal 3, which frequently trundled up and down Woodhall Way and Manor Road.
In the 1970’s Cherry’s moved ‘up market’ and purchased an ex East Midland 1958 Tiger Cub (picture 2) amongst others to ferry the kids around.
In 1987 Cherry’s Coaches was purchased by EYMS and was no more. Sadly ‘Mr Bob” Robert Percy Cherry former owner and operator of Cherry’s Coaches passed away in May 2011 aged 88.