Friday 30 June 2023

PEOPLE are being urged not to put batteries, vapes/e-cigarettes or barbecue coals in their bins after a fire in a waste lorry. An East Riding Council refuse crew was half-way through its blue bin collection in Leven yesterday morning  when the load in the back of the truck began smoking. The quick-thinking crew drove the vehicle to the car park at Leven Sports Hall and called firefighters, who had to cut a hole in the side of the lorry to reach the fire and put it out. 

Although the cause isn’t currently known, the incident has sparked another plea to residents from the council’s waste and recycling team never to place batteries, vapes or coals of any kind in their bins to prevent further incidents. The fire destroyed all the recycling that had been collected that day.

STAFF from Beverley Building Society will compete in Dove House Hospice’s annual It’s A Knockout event to raise money for the society’s annual charity appeal, which this year is supporting Dove House. 36 teams in total will tackle the giant inflatable course. The event takes place on Saturday July 22 on the field at the rear of the Hospice.

HUMBER Teaching NHS Foundation Trust’s chief executive Michele Moran is to take on a day-long dance challenge next Tuesday (July 4) to raise money for the Trust’s charity Health Stars and celebrate the 75th birthday of the NHS. The day-long dance-a-thon will begin at 8.30am with music from 1948, the year in which the NHS was created, and then move through the decades, finishing with current day hits.