Station Sponsors


FOOTBALL: City claim first point of the season

Sheffield Wednesday 1 – 1 Hull City (Saturday August 11)

Hull City and Sheffield Wednesday drew 1-1 at Hillsborough on Saturday afternoon as both sides claimed their first point of the new season. The Tigers had taken the lead through Fraizer Campbell’s first-half strike, but that was cancelled out early in the second half when Fernando Forestieri scored from the penalty spot.

Nigel Adkins named an unchanged starting eleven following Monday night’s defeat to Aston Villa, with the only change in the squad coming on the bench, where Jon Toral came in for Kevin Stewart.

Former Tiger George Boyd was amongst the Wednesday substitutes, with the Owls handing a start to striker Steve Fletcher – his first since Hull City last visited Hillsborough back in December.

The Tigers created an early opening when Fraizer Campbell found Evandro overlapping down the left but a low cross failed to pick anybody out as it went across the face of goal.

David Marshall made a routine save from Forestieri’s 20-yarder at the other end, but the away side were soon back on the attack as Evandro set up a chance for Jarrod Bowen, who couldn’t keep his effort down from close range.

A lively start also brought a promising effort from Todd Kane, which was blocked before the game settled down with Jordy de Wijs picking up the first yellow card of the afternoon for taking down Barry Bannan.

Marshall made an excellent save to deny Fletcher just after the half-hour when the striker was played through one-on-one by Adam Reach.

Evandro’s goal-bound effort from Bowen’s nod-down was blocked moments later but it wouldn’t be long before the Tigers took a 36th-minute lead. Bowen’s shot from the edge of the area came back off the goalkeeper’s right-hand upright and when Evandro saw a follow-up effort pushed away, Campbell was there to bag his first goal of the new season.

Markus Henriksen went close to doubling the lead with an effort from a Kane corner, with Wednesday then forced into a change late in the half as Morgan Fox came off worst from his awful challenge on Campbell for which the defender was also booked.

Wednesday were handed the chance to equalise six minutes after the break when Reece Burke’s challenge on Forestieri resulted in the referee pointing to the spot. Forestieri took it himself and found the bottom corner of the net.

Fletcher should have had the home side in front soon after but he headed wide when well placed eight yards out.

Kane sent a long range effort wide as the Tigers settled back into the game before a first change saw Jackson Irvine come on for Evandro.

Fletcher missed another good chance for the Owls as he headed over from Reach’s deep cross before a second change for the Tigers saw Toral replace Dan Batty.

Marshall had to be at his best to keep Forestieri out 13 minutes from time as he diverted the forward’s shot wide for a corner, with a final Tigers change seeing Nouha Dicko come on for Campbell soon after.

Henriksen forced Owls goalkeeper Cameron Dawson to tip a long range effort over the bar and Jordy de Wijs saw a shot deflect just wide from the resulting corner as the visitors went in search of a late winner, although it was the home side that went the closest with Marshall again having to deny Forestieri.

Hull City: David Marshall, Eric Lichaj, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Stephen Kingsley, Markus Henriksen, Daniel Batty (Jon Toral 72), Jarrod Bowen, Evandro (Jackson Irvine 66), Todd Kane, Fraizer Campbell (Nouha Dicko 81).

Subs Not Used: George Long, David Milinkovic, Angus MacDonald, Will Keane.

Attendance: 23,416.

(Report  courtesy of