Station Sponsors


FOOTBALL: Better, but City still condemned to defeat

HULL CITY 1 – 2 Derby County (Saturday September 1)

Hull City suffered at the hands of Derby County for the second time in a week as they went down to a 2-1 defeat at the KCom.

The result was harsh on the Tigers, who produced a much-improved display following their Carabao Cup thrashing in mid-week, especially after the break when Todd Kane’s first goal for the club had cancelled out Martyn Waghorn’s first half penalty.

But a sucker punch came two minutes from time when Florian Jozefzoon hit a deflected winner for the Rams.

New loan signing Tommy Elphick was on the bench as Nigel Adkins named the same 11 that started against Stoke City last weekend. Adkins’ side made the brighter start but without ever really threatening the Derby goal, while at the other end Rams’ midfielder Mason Mount sent a free kick wide from 25 yards.

Jordy de Wijs picked up a yellow card in the 14th minute for a foul on David Nugent on halfway before both sides had cause to complain to the referee. First, Derby felt they should have had a penalty when Waghorn went down inside the box but play on was the verdict. Then a Jarrod Bowen shot took a deflection on its way wide at the other end only for the official to point for a goal kick.

Derby were awarded a penalty shortly after when de Wijs was ruled to have brought Nugent down and Waghorn stepped up to put the Rams in front with 22 minutes played.

Fraizer Campbell fired wide at the end of a promising move before seeing another effort deflect wide for a corner but Kane’s delivery was cleared.

David Marshall made a good save to deny Derby a second goal, going down to his right to keep Mount’s shot out of the bottom corner and from the resulting corner Nugent saw a header come back off the bar.

The Tigers’ goalkeeper also had to push Scott Malone’s effort over before the home side had a couple of chances late in the half, but Bowen was crowded out inside the box and Markus Henriksen fired over from 18 yards.

Bowen dragged a shot wide of the near post early in the second half with Nugent missing a good chance for the Rams at the other end.

Bowen saw another attempt go wide, this time into the side-netting, after managing to get into the box ahead of his marker but the equaliser would arrive in the 53rd minute. Evandro’s beautiful pass put Kane through and he beat the advancing goalkeeper with a first-time finish.

With the Tigers now on top, good work from Bowen and Campbell created a chance for Evandro but he couldn’t convert from close range while a low Kane cross went across the face of goal untouched at the end of another good move.

Reece Burke’s foul on Mount earned the centre back a yellow card but at least ended a dangerous Derby break, with the play soon returning to the Derby box where Henriksen was denied by Scott Carson.

A first change from the home side saw Will Keane replace Campbell with just under 20 minutes remaining and he soon helped to set up a chance for Evandro which was slammed wide.

Former Tiger Fikayo Tomori picked up Derby’s first booking of the afternoon after taking down Henriksen out wide before a second change saw Nouha Dicko replace Evandro and a third brought Jon Toral on for Kane.

However, the Tigers would fall to a late goal. Mason Bennett did well to send a low cross in from the left and Jozefzoon was there to send a deflected shot in at the far post.

There was a chance to level deep into added time, but Bowen’s effort was deflected wide.

Hull City: David Marshall, Eric Lichaj, Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Stephen Kingsley, Markus Henriksen, Daniel Batty, Jarrod Bowen, Evandro (Nouha Dicko 85), Todd Kane (Jon Toral 87), Fraizer Campbell (Will Keane 72).

Subs Not Used: George Long, Kevin Stewart, Robbie McKenzie, Tommy Elphick.

Attendance: 12,285.

(Report courtesy of