FA Cup: Whitley Bay 1-1 North Ferriby

North Ferriby will have to do it all again after they went to Whitley Bay on Saturday but came away with a disappointing 1-1 draw in the Extra Preliminary Round of this season’s Emirates FA Cup. This was the first time Ferriby would play in the competition under the FC name and they made the long trip to the North East.  

The opening five minutes were dominated by the hosts who played some good football and tried to play their way through a resolute North Ferriby defence. It took thirteen minutes for the game’s opening chance when a Jamie Forrester had a shot from outside the area that went just wide of the goal.  

The Villagers had another effort a few minutes later, again from outside the area, this time it was Danny Emerton who shot wide of Bannon’s goal. The hosts had their first chance on the 24th minute when striker Adam Shanks,  making his 100th appearance for The Bay, saw his effort blocked before it could trouble Lewis Exall. 

A few minutes later Ferriby took the lead as Tom Corner dispossessed a Bay defender with the ball falling to Emerton. The Ferriby winger put a beautiful cross into the box and there was Danny East to send a header looping over Bay keeper Chris Bannon and the Villagers were ahead. 

The hosts equalised in the 32nd minute through Jason Chanayire when Whitley found space out wide. Just like East, Chanayire found himself in space to head out of the reach of the goalkeeper. There was one last first half-chance for the home side when Levi Tarbotton lost possession but Exall was equal to Matty Weir to deny the striker. 

The first chance of the second half came after only four minutes of the second half when Chanayire was put through in space, but he put his effort wide. The second half then became very scrappy with both sides cancelling each other out and plenty of fouls and cautions for both East and Louis Kirk.  

Matty Plummer had the next chance for the Villagers when the defender intercepted a pass and found himself in space on the left-hand side. He played a one-two with substitute Harvey Carew and found himself in the Whitley Bay area but his curling effort fell wide of the post and out for a goal kick.  

The hosts answered back with their own chance. Ferriby were caught on the break and Matty Weirs was found by Jamie Dunn with his curling shot parried away by Exall. Whitley Bay then had the best chance of the game in the 88th minute.  

Richard Coulson beat the offside trap and instead of going straight through on goal decided to compose himself with a few turns. His first effort was saved by Exall and his second attempt was cleared off the line by Ben Leyland to leave the sides to do it all again at the Dransfield on Tuesday night. 

Ferriby manager Chris Bolder was disappointed with his side’s performance but knows they have another chance when the sides meet again. He will be looking for an increase in intensity which he feels his side didn’t offer in this game. 

“I am disappointed but if things don’t go to plan then it is important you don’t get beaten and on Tuesday we have an opportunity to right a few wrongs,” he said. 

“If we are totally honest we need to look at everything today and have to put in a better performance when we play them again this week. The bottom line is we are still in the competition and have another chance to progress. In cup competitions, you have to show a real resilience which we did but not the intensity we have shown in recent weeks. 

“The coach journey to these places doesn’t help but that’s not an excuse but it does sometimes take you a bit of time to get going. Once we got the goal I thought it would ignite our intensity levels, the ones we are used to, but it didn’t happen and we conceded a poor goal from our point of view but we will look to put things right on Tuesday.” 

Reporter: Ash Walker at Hillhands (northferribyfc.co.uk)

Whitley Bay: Chris Bannon, Khalid Kharufa, Jamie Dunn, Hishi Lama, Callum Anderson, Luke Taylor, Jason Chanayire, Jon Weirs, Adam Shanks (Gaffney), Matty Weirs (Malone), Richard Coulson
Subs not used: Scott Lowery, Shaun Dippenaar, Dan Lister 

Goals: Jason Chanayire (32) 

North Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Liam Nelthorpe (Ben Leyland), Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Matty Plummer, Louis Kirk, Eddie Rogerson (Harvey Carew), Danny Emerton, Jamie Forrester (Josh Dennett), Danny East, Tom Corner
Subs not used: Jordan Douglas, Rinalds Jurkstis, Harvey Carew, Harry Fenton, Joe McFadyen 

Goals: Danny East (26) 

Referee: Gregg Hargrave 

Half-time: 1-1