FA Cup (R): North Ferriby 2-5 Whitley Bay

North Ferriby had a defensive nightmare as they crashed out of this seasons Emirates FA Cup at the first hurdle of the Extra Preliminary Round after a 5-2 defeat in the replay at the Dransfield. The Villagers trailed 1-0 inside the first two minutes but it was three goals in the first five minutes of the second half which killed off any chance they had of a revival.  

Things didn’t start well when a lapse in the defence with 90 seconds gone saw Harry Doward slide the ball past Ferriby keeper Lewis Exall. The Villagers replied ten minutes later when a great ball over the top saw Tom Corner control the ball before placing it into the bottom corner out of the reach of Bay keeper Chris Bannon. 

Neither side got on top until just before the half-hour when another horrendous error in the Ferriby defence saw the visitors take a 2-1 lead into the half-time break. A poor back pass saw Exall have to race out of his area and his clearance rebounded off Jason Chanayire and roll back into the net. 

Ferriby did have chances of their own late in the half when a combination of Jamie Forrester, Ben Leyland and Corner set up Matty Plummer but who blazed the ball over the bar. Then Plummer had another chance in first-half injury time with but again the shot went high and wide. 

The start of the second half is maybe best forgotten by all concerned at the Villagers as they imploded by leaking three goals in a five-minute spell to effectively lose the game. With less than a minute gone Dorward was allowed to get round the defence to put the ball on the head of Adam Shanks in front of goal to make it 3-1. 

The defensive error trend continued when Exall was isolated after a ball over the top of the home defence but he was beaten by Richard Coulson who headed the ball over him and into the net. The game was as good as won just a minute later when Shanks raced through on goal, possibly in an offside position, to rifle the ball past the keeper for 5-1. 

This was a night when absolutely nothing would go right for Ferriby as Whitley should have been down to ten men after Hishi Lama, who had already been booked, scythed down substitute Danny Emerton. The midfielder wasn’t even spoken to but was quickly substituted, that was the kind of night the Villagers were having. 

The final quarter of the game saw Ferriby mount plenty of attacks but it wasn’t until the 84th minute when a great ball over the top from Levi Tarbotton landed with Harvey Carew. The substitute cut inside and slotted the ball past Bannon but it was far too little and far too late. 

Reported by Mark Chestney at the Dransfield Stadium (northferribyfc.co.uk).

North Ferriby: Lewis Exall, Liam Nelthorpe (Dennett 52), Matty Plummer, Levi Tarbotton, Niall Tilsley, Eddie Rogerson (Carew 52), Ben Leyland, Joel Shortland, Jamie Forrester, Tom Corner, Joe McFadyen (Emerton 52)
Subs not used: Jordan Douglas, Harry Fenton
Goals: Corner (12), Carew (84) 

Whitley Bay: Chris Bannon, Khalid Kharufa (Ben Gaffney 77), Jamie Dunn, Hishi Lama (Matthew Weirs 59), Callum Anderson, Luke Taylor, Henry Doward, Jon Weirs, Adam Shanks, Jason Chanayire (Joe Malone 72), Richard Coulson.
Subs not used: Dan Lister  
Goals: Doward (2), Chanayire (28), Shanks (46, 50), Coulson (49) 

Referee: Thomas Day  

Half-time: 1-2 

Attendance: 350