Dinnington 26-15 Beverley

Always going to be a tricky encounter, travelling down to an in-form Dinnington on a dark winter’s day with the torrential rain effectively making the playing surface a mud bath, which only helped the home team further given their larger pack and notoriously forward based playing style, the opposite to Beverley, who are known for fast-flowing back play, but that’s rugby. Both teams contributed positively to the game, and both had an opportunity to play to their relative strengths, but on a day like this with the conditions favouring the home team’s game, and including an unforgiving referee, the Beavers came out second best, 26-15.

The game started interestingly, the kick-off from Joey Franklin bounced awkwardly, Dinnington didn’t respond quickly enough, but Luke Hazell did and finished under the posts in what must be the quickest try of any match in Yorkshire 1 this season, converted by Franklin and a somewhat surprising 0-7 lead to the away team. Unfortunately thereafter the script played out in accordance with expectations dictated largely by conditions aided and abetted by some intriguing refereeing decisions.   

During the course of the match, the referee awarded three yellow cards, all to Beverley, 28 penalties, 20 against Beverley and 6 free kicks, four of which were in the favour of the home team. This obviously had a bearing on the match result, some of these decisions were harsh at best, and maybe Beverley could have adjusted better to his particular style, but they did try. The game was played in great spirits by both teams that enjoyed a forwards battle in the mud, there was not a single flash-point in the game.

By half time the home team had scored four carbon copy push over tries from lineouts near to the Beverley try line from penalty kicks, with the only response being a 35 min penalty conversion from Franklin.  26-10 at halftime to the home team.

Beverley did adapt better to conditions and the referee in the second half and had enough ball to show some attractive back play on a few occasions, something their opponents never did throughout the game. In fact, Beverley won the second half, after 35 minutes of end to end error strung rugby a fine team effort from the forwards securing the ball from a turnover on the Beverley 10m line quick hands and good cutting lines from the backs meant that Luke Hazell was able to finish the game the way it started, although this time in the corner. The final score was 26-15, and the players were indistinguishable as they left the field all having had a fantastic time in the mud.

The effort and commitment from the Beavers could not be faulted, especially in the face of the adverse circumstances, to a man they all put in a shift, as did the travelling supporters. Technically they know they can play better, and they are building well under head coach Craig Hancock and the team camaraderie is there to be seen.  Man of the match for Beverley was Jacob Baggs. The fixture next week is the rescheduled match away at Selby, another tough challenge for the boys.

Brian Gilbert