Station Sponsors


Dawson secures a point for Hull City

Hull City 1 – 1 Barnsley (Tuesday, February 27)

Michael Dawson was the man who earned his side a point as he popped up with an equaliser 17 minutes from time after Oliver McBurnie had opened the scoring midway through the first half.

Nigel Adkins made one change to his side following the win against Sheffield United last time out. With Evandro ruled out by a minor injury problem, Jon Toral stepped up from the bench. Will Keane came back into the squad amongst the substitutes.

On a bitterly cold and snowy East Yorkshire night, Angus MacDonald had to be on his toes to halt a promising run from Brad Potts as the centre back lined up against his former club, while at the other end Adama Diomande saw a header saved by Barnsley goalkeeper Nick Townsend.

Nouha Dicko also saw an early effort saved but it would be Barnsley who took the lead in the 22nd minute. Potts was given space out wide and he picked out McBurnie in the middle who headed into the net.

Seb Larsson sent a free-kick wide before Dicko went close after a playing a neat one-two on the edge of the Barnsley box in what was a promising response from the home side.

Toral had the best chance during what remained of the first half, but he headed wide from Jarrod Bowen’s cross and took a nasty knock to his head in the process. It looked as though he would continue after treatment, but he was replaced by Keane. Barnsley defender Adam Jackson also had to be replaced, stretchered off after lengthy on-field treatment.

In added time, Ola Aina saw a fine volley kept out by Townsend as the Tigers went into the break behind.

MacDonald picked up an early yellow in the second half after a late challenge on Gary Gardner before Max Clark followed his team-mate into the book for dissent.

The spate of bookings continued as Barnsley’s Adam Lindsay was cautioned for a foul on Bowen that gave the Tigers a free kick around 25 yards from goal. Bowen’s delivery was good, but nobody could get a touch on it.

MacDonald saw a far post header from a Bowen free kick blocked on the line as the home side continued to try and find a way through, with Bowen then seeing a header of his own kept out by Townsend.

A first change came just after the hour as Kamil Grosicki replaced Diomande, before Allan McGregor became the next player to be booked after bringing down Kieffer Moore outside the box.

Fraizer Campbell replaced Dicko as the Tigers made a second change and Campbell immediately won his side a free kick deep in Barnsley territory. Larsson delivered it, but sent the ball straight into the hands of Townsend.

However, from the next set-piece the Tigers drew level. Larsson’s delivery made it through to the far post and Dawson was there to side-foot home. 1-1 with 17 minutes to play.

Larsson brought a save out of Townsend with a free kick a few minutes later and Bowen was denied at the near post as the remainder of the game was played out almost exclusively inside the Barnsley half of the field but there was to be no winner.

Hull City: Allan McGregor, Ola Aina, Michael Dawson, Angus MacDonald, Max Clark, Sebastian Larsson, Jackson Irvine, Jarrod Bowen, Jon Toral (Will Keane 45), Adama Diomande (Kamil Grosicki 62), Nouha Dicko (Fraizer Campbell 70).

Attendance: 14,005 (1,164 Visiting Supporters).

Report courtesy of