Cup: Humber United 2-3 Hall Road Rangers

Hall Road Rangers are through to the Second Round of the NCEL League Cup after defeating FC Humber United 2-3 on Tuesday night. It was a very good start to the game from Hall Road as they took the lead in the 7th minute. Sam Robinson got on the end of a low-driven cross into the FC Humber box and tucked the ball home. This lead was doubled in the 19th minute thanks to some individual brilliance from skipper Conner Harman as he went on a mazy run through the FC Humber defence and slotted the ball into the back of the net. Rich Medcalf had a great chance to extend Hall Road’s lead in the 24th minute which he put over the bar. However, Rangers did get a third goal which came in the 27th minute as Sam Robinson picked up his second goal of the game.

The second half was a completely different affair as the hosts had an immediate reaction and showed more attacking intent. FC Humber pulled a goal back in the 59th minute thanks to a Szymon Czubik strike which flew into the back of the net. There was a late onslaught from FC Humber as they searched for a way back into the game. An effort was fired over the bar in the 83rd minute and the hosts missed a glorious opportunity in the 87th minute as a penalty was smashed against the crossbar. It then became very nervy for all concerned with Hall Road in the 89th minute when Cameron Hall got another goal back for the hosts. Rangers managed to hold onto their lead and picked up their first competitive win of the season.

Hall Road boss Leon Sewell had a mixed reaction to the game itself. “Definitely a game of two halves and two different teams. One for us and one for FC Humber. The first half was absolutely spot on and I thought the second half was completely unacceptable. Fair play to FC Humber as they came out in the second half and asked us a lot of questions. Good luck to them for the rest of the season and we’ll cross paths with them again in the league“ he said.

Report by: Oliver Harsley

Published: 11th August 2021