Station Sponsors


City rue missed penalty

Hull City 0 – 1 Blackburn Rovers (Tuesday August 20)

Hull City suffered a first home defeat of the season, beaten 1-0 by Blackburn Rovers at the KCom Tuesday night.

Derrick Williams headed the only goal of the game after Jarrod Bowen had seen a first-half penalty saved on what was a frustrating night for the Tigers.

There were two changes to the side that drew at Brentford last Saturday. A hamstring problem picked up at Griffin Park ruled Eric Lichaj out of the action and his place was taken by Robbie McKenzie, while George Honeyman was also missing with Daniel Batty coming into the team. Jackson Irvine took over Lichaj’s captaincy duties.

Blackburn made the better start and went close to opening the scoring in the ninth minute when a corner caused problems and a loose ball was headed just wide by Williams.

However, from the Tigers’ first real attack of note they were given the opportunity to take the lead. Kamil Grosicki’s cross was met on the volley by Batty and when his effort was cleared off the line Irvine was fouled when trying to get to the rebound. Bowen stepped up, but his 13th-minute spot kick was saved by Christian Walton.

Rovers came within inches of taking the lead when Bradley Johnson’s header grazed the top of George Long’s crossbar, while at the other end Batty fired over from the edge of the box after being set up by good play from Stephen Kingsley.

Long did well to deny Adam Armstrong after he had been played through by Bradley Dack and with play going from end-to-end, Irvine swept just wide from Grosicki’s ball into the box.

Grosicki then struck the woodwork after some high pressing from Batty had forced an error from the visitors deep in their own half, before the Polish winger then curled an effort inches wide with the game passing the half-hour mark.

Kevin Stewart was booked shortly before the break for one too many offences for the referee’s liking, while Stewart Downing tested Long’s left-hand post with a low effort that rebounded to safety.

There was more woodwork action before the half was out as Johnson grazed the top of the bar with an effort from 18 yards, but the sides headed into the changing room goalless.

The Tigers went straight on the attack after half time with Grosicki’s ball across goal almost finding Bowen at the back post, while Tom Eaves picked up a yellow card for a foul on Johnson.

Batty was just off target with a low drive from the edge of the area while Kingsley became the third player to go into the book when rugby tackling Sam Gallagher to the ground. It proved to be a costly foul as Rovers took the lead from the resulting free kick as Williams rose highest to nod the ball into the bottom corner.

It prompted a double change from McCann as the two Josh’s, Bowler and Magennis, came on for Batty and Eaves.

A final change brought Leonardo Da Silva on for McKenzie but it was Blackburn who were looking the more dangerous as Downing and Greg Cunningham were both denied by Long.

Bowler was booked for a foul on Cunningham as the Tigers’ frustrations grew, while a first Blackburn caution went to Darragh Lenihan for a foul on Magennis.

Bowen fired wide of the near post as the game entered its final ten minutes before the best chance of the closing stages fell to Da Silva at the far post but he couldn’t direct an effort on target as Blackburn held out for the win.

Hull City: George Long; Robbie McKenzie (Leonardo Da Silva Lopes 73), Reece Burke, Jordy de Wijs, Stephen Kingsley; Kevin Stewart, Daniel Batty (Josh Bowler 66), Jackson Irvine; Jarrod Bowen, Kamil Grosicki, Tom Eaves (Josh Magennis 66).

Subs Not Used: Matt Ingram, Ryan Tafazolli, Jon Toral, Brandon Fleming.

Attendance: 10,240.

(Report courtesy of